Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gastro-Intestinal Distress...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Makita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
I just had a bottle with the neighbor so the countdown is on!
I assume the results are in....?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #22
fins2rit

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjbj_h
It was a Brewer's Best Continental Pils (Ale). It called for a 3.3 of Coopers LME that was not out to date and a pound or so of DME. It has specialty grains for a steep too. I have not heard too much bad about the kits so far so I hope that was not the issue. I just had a bottle with the neighbor so the countdown is on!

I can not believe I am asking but what happen with you and your neighbor?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #23
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I've been in that same boat before. Usually on a night when the beer just tastes too damn good to stop drinking. After about 9 Double IPA's on my last brew day, had one helluva fun night. Worst was when I went to a bar and ordered a Framboise and didnt see that the bartender had gurgled every last drop out of that bottle.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had your problem once after drinking homebrew. . .but I distinctly remember eating a whole uncooked habanero pepper in addition.

You talk about "ring of fire". . . .

More like razorblades. . .

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 04-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #25
Mr. Mojo Rising

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

YES...the results are in and we have a winner!! It was not my beer and just a little exposure to a virus from the kids called ROTAVIRUS. Talk about a bad time.

15 Gal Conical - The Three Nobles-German Pils
Secondary - The Comrade-Imperial Russian Stout
Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA
Tap 2 - The Unicorn-Honey Nut Brown
Tap 3 - The Blarney-Irish Red
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
LostBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 135

On a serious note, I made a brew which came out bad, I didn't have the heart to pour it out even though it was bad tasting. I left it in clear plastic jugs for months, and the only space left was next to the back door where it got a bit of sun as I went out to water my plants.

Well it was one of the last brews I had and I was drinking for the effect and not for the the flavor. I believe this is what gave me IBS due to food poisoning. All tests from the doctor said I'm fine except I was constantly burping and the preasure would build up against my heart and it would beat out of order until I burped enough. (2-3 hours of constant burping, even on an empty stomuch). It turns out I had a really bad yeast infection in my digestive track. I had to twist my doctors arm to get the anti-fungle (anti yeast) pills because he didn't believe me. There is more damage, but it solved 80% of it. I'm also on a gluten/sugar/caffiene/casin free diet, and I'm doing better, but I can't eat what I love any more.

I'm just saying, it may be too much yeast in your digestive track. Remove graines (flour, deep-fried anything, chips, cerial, etc), and alcohol for a few days to see if it gets better.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Kids have been know to do that.....one of the hazards I guess. But Im sure the unfilter beer with yeast in suspension gave it that extra little squirt (Pun intended). Yeast is a powerful laxative....and you might have even got a bottle with more yeast in it.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Same thing happens to me. I think it has more to do with an extremely high yeast content when compared with filtered store bought stuff. I find I feel quite ill the next day after drinking homebrew...much moreso than drinking commercial stuff.....and I keep my ferm temps low, so I know it is not a fusel alcohol problem. I've considered investing in a small filtration system, even though it can be a PITA I think it's worth it.

You may be sensitive to the yeast....but not so much so to be allergic. Certain grains have been known to cause the same symptoms.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 3354

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBrewer View Post
It turns out I had a really bad yeast infection in my digestive track. I had to twist my doctors arm to get the anti-fungle (anti yeast) pills because he didn't believe me.
How did you know it was a yeast infection if the doctor ruled it out??

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #30
LostBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 135

The doctor didn't do anything but listen to me for 15 minutes and tell me to have antacid pills like Tums, and he gave me samples of more powerful stuff. This only doubled the length of time to be burping and in pain. I even asked him to do blood work to see if there was anything out of whack. Blood work was fine by the cholesterol was high.

As for how I came the conclusion, any ingredient with sugar, or grains (or alcohol - wine/beer/liquor) would cause the burping to get worse and put me in more suffering, for example, one "fun size" candy bar on a stomach which was empty for 8 hours would cause me extreme burping in 20 minutes which would last for about 3 hours. I spent months reading up on my symptoms, and trying different things. I basically eliminated everything until it was a digestive yeast infection. One easy sign was how quick fungus would grow inside my toilet bowl. I would have to clean the bowl once or twice a week to make sure guests aren't freaked out by the mess in the bowl, instead of once a month.

I've learned more since the last post. I have a weak liver, which isn't producing the enzymes to digest my food, which means the flora in my digestive track got out of whack allowing yeast (and everything else) to grow well. I had to increase how acidic my stomach was, so I added a shot of straight lemon juice and 2,000 milligrams of Vitamin C to the beginning of my meals and I felt normal. I went back to the doctor and told him I think the real cause for getting the digestive infection was from weak liver enzymes which caused the whole issue, and the doc said, "Yah I knew that." Than why didn't he tell me that?!

Anyways, I would say I'm 98% cured after nearly a year, but it's tolerable, and I know what will cause it to come back, and I just have to behave these days. The up side is I've lost 35 pounds and haven't gained them back.

Quick Reply