FWH when doing BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
I would like to know how first wort hopping works when doing all-grain BIAB? I dont plan on doing it for my first AG brew, but would like to know for future reference. Thanks.

Eric

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but you can set up an AG setup for relatively cheap, and I think that's clearly a better alternative to BIAB.

First Wort Hopping works the same no matter how you mash, because it has nothing to do with the mash tun. You put hops in the kettle and run off into the kettle. That has nothing at all to do with whether you've got a false bottom or BIAB setup.

Remember: grain go in mash-tun; hops go in kettle. ;)

Hope this helps!

Bob

So, they are added to the mash and steped while you are sparging the grains? Do they have to be removed at all? Sorry for all the questions.

Eric

First Wort Hopping works the same no matter how you mash, because it has nothing to do with the mash tun. You put hops in the kettle and run off into the kettle. That has nothing at all to do with whether you've got a false bottom or BIAB setup.

Remember: grain go in mash-tun; hops go in kettle. ;)

Hope this helps!

Bob

But the kettle is the mash tun in BiaB

So, they are added to the mash and steped while you are sparging the grains? Do they have to be removed at all? Sorry for all the questions.

Eric

I've never FWHed a BiaB, but I'd do it right after you pull the grain bag out.

I put them in the kettle as soon as I lift the bag out.

That is what I think. Once you remove the grains and put them in kettle 2 to sparge, add the hops to kettle 1.
They will be in the kettle from before it boils and extract some of the goodness at a lower temp than boiling. However, they do stay in for the remainder of the boil.

Yep I think the point of FWH is to have the hops in while you bring your wort to a boil, and that way you get some flavor compounds locked in, then you boil those for 60-90 min whatever. So I agree that you throw them in right after pulling the bag out.

But the kettle is the mash tun in BiaB

Whoops! See what happens when you miss a crucial point? :)

I've never FWHed a BiaB, but I'd do it right after you pull the grain bag out.
There you go! Problem solved, question answered.

Bob

P.S. I use a cooler, too, and basically use the bag to replace the false bottom or manifold.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So if my hop schedule looked like this:

.5 oz Cascade at 60 min
.5 oz Cascade at 20 min
.5 oz Cascade at 10 min
.5 oz Cascade at 0 min

Would I take the 10 min. addition and use those in FWH, or the 10 and 20 minute additions? This is going to be for my 2 row/nugget smash. Im going to make 2 small batches, the first being hopped as per the above schedule, the second with FWH. Thanks for your help everyone!

Eric

Since FWH gives you all the bitterness of a 60 minute addition and some of the flavor of a late addition I'd move the 60 min addition to FWH and leave the rest the same.

Since FWH gives you all the bitterness of a 60 minute addition and some of the flavor of a late addition I'd move the 60 min addition to FWH and leave the rest the same.

I'm not sure that that's right.

I've read that the bittering contribution of FWH is closer to that of a 20 minute addition.

You'll need more hops at FWH to equal that of a 60 minute addition. I think you'd need closer to 1.5 oz FWH to equal the bittering of your 60 minute addition... Could be wrong though...

I've read that the bittering contribution of FWH is closer to that of a 20 minute addition.

You'll need more hops at FWH to equal that of a 60 minute addition. I think you'd need closer to 1.5 oz FWH to equal the bittering of your 60 minute addition... Could be wrong though...
I don't think that's quite right. I'm fairly sure that FWH-ing slightly increases the IBUs, but because it gives a less harsh bitterness it can come across as smoother and less kick-you-in-the-face bitter than non-FHW beers. The FWH beers I've done have all been plenty bitter.

Thats what I've experienced.

Back