Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > FWH Too Late

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
ksbrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default FWH Too Late

I just made a beer with FWH. The problem is that I didn't add the FWH until the kettle was almost full and almost boiling.

Does that make it essentially the same as a 60 minute addition? I was hoping for a bit of aroma and flavor from the pre-boil portion of the hop contact, but that period was very short and hot, so I'm not expecting much hop flavor or aroma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You really would get little aroma or flavor from fwh, just like you get little from the 60 minute boil addition anyway. All the volatile esters that go in to flavor and aroma boil off. Fwh is really just a bitterness addition.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Also, the hot break can bind some of the bittering compounds, so you lose IBUs as well.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You really would get little aroma or flavor from fwh, just like you get little from the 60 minute boil addition anyway. All the volatile esters that go in to flavor and aroma boil off. Fwh is really just a bitterness addition.
is this a fact?

i thought the whole purpose of FWH was flavor/aroma, similar to a 20min addition

Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was counting on losing IBU, but I also thought FWH was to add flavor and aroma in addition to smooth bittering. But I have to believe Revvy. I guess we'll see how it comes out...

Quick Reply