Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > FWH? should I?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #41
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to say that FWH has made a huge difference in my IPA and DIPA brews, especially. The hop flavor comes through in a much more pronounced way. Whole hops seem preferable but I have had good luck with pellets, too. I generally throw in two ounces when the hop Alpha Acid (AA) is between 6-9% and 1-1.5 oz. when AA is above 9%. After I collect my first runnings I throw in the hops and get the wort moving up toward boil. Then I'll batch sparge and add these second runnings to the boil kettle with the FWHs and keep it cranking toward boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #42
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
I have to say that FWH has made a huge difference in my IPA and DIPA brews, especially. The hop flavor comes through in a much more pronounced way. Whole hops seem preferable but I have had good luck with pellets, too. I generally throw in two ounces when the hop Alpha Acid (AA) is between 6-9% and 1-1.5 oz. when AA is above 9%. After I collect my first runnings I throw in the hops and get the wort moving up toward boil. Then I'll batch sparge and add these second runnings to the boil kettle with the FWHs and keep it cranking toward boil.
This is exactly what I do, too! Love it!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #43
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1989 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 2809

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
So with FWH you collect all of your first running's and then throw in the hops and light the fire? Also, are the proportions for a 5 gallon or 10 gallon batch?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS