Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > FWH only recipe question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
oldthomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default FWH only recipe question

My question is whether or not only a FWH addition will bitter adequately. I've used the technique but have never made a recipe with only a FWH addition. I'm more or less committed to the recipe below, but I'd like to hear from the experienced. How would you describe your FWH only beers?

Recipe:
10# Maris Otter
3# Rye
1# Special B
2 oz Willamette FWH
WY3522 yeast

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've done FWH and dry hop. FWH is nice but you're going to be lacking in the aroma department with the final product.

nurture my pig

Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't do IPA's but I do FWH all my other beers (Belgians and German lagers mostly). Any aroma hops go in at flameout, no hops in between FWH and flameout.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

You generally need to up the amounts since a FWH is closer to a 20min add in IBUs. I'd also recommend a dry hop for the aroma

Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
oldthomas
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
I don't do IPA's but I do FWH all my other beers (Belgians and German lagers mostly). Any aroma hops go in at flameout, no hops in between FWH and flameout.
Could you give me an example Belgian recipe that was a success?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
You generally need to up the amounts since a FWH is closer to a 20min add in IBUs. I'd also recommend a dry hop for the aroma
With all due respect, why is this? Have you experimented to confirm this yourself? I know this is the oft-repeated "common knowledge" but I have done a few side-by-side tests with standard 60 minute addtition vs exact same amount as FWH. The percieved bitterness seemed the same to me and others that have tasted the experiments but there is something "different" about the FWH bittering. It's much more mellow and seems to hit the back off your tongue as it finishes.

The reason I did the experiments is that no one could tell me why hops that were boiled for over 60 minutes (FWH) should result in LESS bitterness than the standard 60 minute boil of bittering hops. So, why should a standard bittering charge boiled for 60 minutes give you "x" amount of IBU's but the same amount done as a FWH (and boiled longer than 60 minutes) only give you 20 minutes worth of IBU's?

I'm not trying to be combative, just so tired of the same old "truths" being repeated constantly and taken as gospel. Doesn't anybody else think to challenege these facts that just don't seem "right" or am I just some kind of rebellious freak?

nurture my pig

oldthomas Likes This 
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
That's my experience also.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
With all due respect, why is this? Have you experimented to confirm this yourself? I know this is the oft-repeated "common knowledge" but I have done a few side-by-side tests with standard 60 minute addtition vs exact same amount as FWH. The percieved bitterness seemed the same to me and others that have tasted the experiments but there is something "different" about the FWH bittering. It's much more mellow and seems to hit the back off your tongue as it finishes.

The reason I did the experiments is that no one could tell me why hops that were boiled for over 60 minutes (FWH) should result in LESS bitterness than the standard 60 minute boil of bittering hops. So, why should a standard bittering charge boiled for 60 minutes give you "x" amount of IBU's but the same amount done as a FWH (and boiled longer than 60 minutes) only give you 20 minutes worth of IBU's?

I'm not trying to be combative, just so tired of the same old "truths" being repeated constantly and taken as gospel. Doesn't anybody else think to challenege these facts that just don't seem "right" or am I just some kind of rebellious freak?
I have done the experiment and had the beers measured. I had many tasters in a blind triangle tasting. My conclusion is that although the FWH only beers measured about 10% more IBU, they tasted less bitter.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So the measured IBU is actually higher? That would seem to confirm the theory that the longer boil of the FWH does result in more IBU.

I suppose that the "perceived" bitterness could be subjective dependent upon the individual taster? Perhaps the FWH bittering being less "harsh" could be construed as "less" bitter? Too many variables related to the palate of the individuals doing the tasting but I am glad to see that the actual measurement supports the thoery that longer boil = higher IBU (even though the perception of those higher IBU's in different). Thanks for the input!

nurture my pig

Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm going with rebellious freak lol

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson