The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > FWH for BIAB

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Boek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 107
Default FWH for BIAB

Is an equivalent technique possible for biab?

__________________
Boek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio
Posts: 152
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Pull your bag out, toss in your hops and start the flame to bring to a boil.

__________________
Horseballs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Essentially add the hops before the boil is officially rolling. You're just adding more time to the bittering addition, and at a lower starting temp.

__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Millburn, NJ
Posts: 938
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Why not just add your hops bag to your BIAB bag? Mash in the bag for 60 minutes, then remove the hops bag, and place it in your boil kettle.

__________________
ArcLight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
Why not just add your hops bag to your BIAB bag? Mash in the bag for 60 minutes, then remove the hops bag, and place it in your boil kettle.
I think some hops would be stuck in the grains in this scenario, don't you? I usually add my hops either to first runnings or after all runnings collected but before boil (~15-20m before boil). The latter might not be true FWH but it's also not a 60m addition either.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 861
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

For BIAB FWH I always add them just when I pull the grain bag out and start draining. Just don't forget it like I sometimes do

__________________
paraordnance is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
For BIAB FWH I always add them just when I pull the grain bag out and start draining. Just don't forget it like I sometimes do
That's what I would do.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beer-lord's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 1,131
Liked 112 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
Why not just add your hops bag to your BIAB bag? Mash in the bag for 60 minutes, then remove the hops bag, and place it in your boil kettle.
I thought there was a difference between FWH and Mash hopping. I've FWH'd and really like it and I do BIAB. I just toss the hops in when I remove the bag to drain as mentioned and start the water to boil. It usually takes me 30 minutes to bring to a boil so sometimes I do FWH as an addition to my 60 minute hop hit and sometimes I skip the 60 minute. Can't say I really have noticed a huge difference either way but I'm hooked on it.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are!
Beer-lord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Millburn, NJ
Posts: 938
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

>>I thought there was a difference between FWH and Mash hopping. I've FWH'd and really like it and I do BIAB. I just toss the hops in when I remove the bag to drain as mentioned and start the water to boil. It usually takes me 30 minutes to bring to a boil so sometimes I do FWH as an addition to my 60 minute hop hit and sometimes I skip the 60 minute. Can't say I really have noticed a huge difference either way but I'm hooked on it.

FWH is usually done while Sparging, yes? With traditional methods (false bottom in a cooler), thats at 170F, and takes a long time.

So with BIAB why not leave the hops in during the mash, since there isnt really a sparge.

Or am I missing something?


>>I think some hops would be stuck in the grains in this scenario, don't you? I
No, because I use a hops bag. :-)

Without the hops bag, then you would have to put the loose hops under the bag, and they might not get enough circulation.

__________________
ArcLight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,069
Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
FWH is usually done while Sparging, yes? With traditional methods (false bottom in a cooler), thats at 170F, and takes a long time.

So with BIAB why not leave the hops in during the mash, since there isnt really a sparge.

Or am I missing something?
the hops aren't just in for the sparge. adding the hops after you pull out the sack would be exactly the same as how its normally done
__________________
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools