The fumes, they smell like Peach Vodka...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
As my signature implies, and friend and I recently brewed a Mango-Peach Wit. We tossed in some fresh peach slices along with the coriander + orange peel; I racked into a new bucket several days later, so that the tannins/bitterness in the orange peel and coriander didn't overpower.

At seven days post-brew, I added a whole bunch of fresh peach and mango slices, and let them steep for 9.5 days.

Last night, I bottled. When I opened the bucket to transfer to the bottling vessel, I (as is typical) took a big sniff. ACK! :cross: That junk knocked me back and cleared my sinuses out...it was like sniffing rubbing alcohol, but with peach flavoring.

Anyway, my question is: what does this mean? Anything? I realize that the yeast was just munching on the fruit's sugar and crapping out alcohol, but did I bottle too soon? The yeast appeared to have settled into a nice cake on the bottom, so that's no big deal; but I kinda worry about overcarbonation in-bottle if there were excessive fruit sugars and active yeasts in the mix, in addition to the priming sugars. I tasted some of the stuff when I bottled, and it didn't taste too sweet---in fact, it tasted like liquid gold...so my fears may be misplaced.

Any thoughts?

Did you take any specific gravity measurements? If there is still a bunch of sugar in the bottles, the yeast might have fun time with that. Hope you don't get any bottle bombs. Might stink up the whole house.

troybinso said:
Did you take any specific gravity measurements? If there is still a bunch of sugar in the bottles, the yeast might have fun time with that. Hope you don't get any bottle bombs. Might stink up the whole house.

Nope, didn't take any readings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any exploders, and that the peaches + mangoes were just very infused with alcohol (they were, I tasted some).

That sounds like a good time, Enjoy the fruit, but be careful with the bottles.

Let us know how it turned out.

Well, update on the Mango-Peach Wit. Tried my first bottle last night---yeah, it's only been like 10 days since bottling, but I was curious. I don't think I have to worry too much about bottle bombs---the one I tried wasn't very carbonated yet, even at 10 days. But the beer itself was phenomenal!!! The peach and mango are identifiable, but not overpowering. The color is a beautiful, brilliant orange. This is going to be one hell of a finished beer!

Back