Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > full boils on kitchen gas stove

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just use two 5-gallons pots on your stove. I've done this for years. Saves money in pot expense too, since 5g are so cheap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Just use two 5-gallons pots on your stove. I've done this for years. Saves money in pot expense too, since 5g are so cheap.
Do you split your wort or do you boil top off water in one and the other is wort?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I have the typical GE coil stove and yes, it is possible to do a full five gallon boil, even a 90 min boil with 6.5 gallons starting but it will take a long, long time to reach boil. I went for broke one time and did a 6 gallon batch in an 8 gallon kettle with a 7.5 gallon pre-boil volume with a 90 minute boil. I used a second pot to get some of the wort boiling and then added that to the kettle but it still took about 90 minutes to reach boil. I literally went for broke because the weight and hours of heat melted the housing on the connector that powers the coil and shorted the coil and switch. Had to replace the coil, switch and wire harness. Ever since all my batches over three gallons go outside on the turkey fryer I bought shortly afterwards.

Some people have said they can't reach a full boil on a coil stove so the answer for your particular stove may be no. However, for many stoves they do make a canning element that handles more heat and has better support to hold up a heavier kettle. If your stove can accept one of these then you may be able to boil a full batch without fear of blowing out your stove like I did. When I looked into it I found my particular GE model does not support the canning element.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster

Some people have said they can't reach a full boil on a coil stove so the answer for your particular stove may be no. However, for many stoves they do make a canning element that handles more heat and has better support to hold up a heavier kettle. If your stove can accept one of these then you may be able to boil a full batch without fear of blowing out your stove like I did. When I looked into it I found my particular GE model does not support the canning element.
Since i have a gas range no worries about coils

Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab

Do you split your wort or do you boil top off water in one and the other is wort?
I simply split my wort into roughly equal portions, and of course split the hops too. So it's exactly like any other all grain brewer does, just using 2 pots. Heats up really quickly too!!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a GE Profile gas range that has a 'power boil' burner that, I think, is rated at 15k btus. I assume this will bring 6-7 gallons to boil in an aluminum pot. Can anyone confirm?

I currently boil 4+ in a 5-gal pot, and it does this without much trouble. Would like to step up to full wort boils.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
I have a GE Profile gas range that has a 'power boil' burner that, I think, is rated at 15k btus. I assume this will bring 6-7 gallons to boil in an aluminum pot. Can anyone confirm?

I currently boil 4+ in a 5-gal pot, and it does this without much trouble. Would like to step up to full wort boils.
You should be fine. Like others mentioned, it'll take a while to boil.

Quick Reply