The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Frustrations in all grain brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
thekage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Frustrations in all grain brewing...

So I have been all grain brewing for about 6 months, doing 11 batches. In not one of those have I even been close to target on gravity. I always hit my gravity when I was using extracts. Im pretty sure the issue is in my sparging.
My setup is simple, heat water on burner, hand move the water into my mash tun, dough in, let it mash for 60 minutes, vorlauf, pull the wort off, stir in my batch water, let it set for 10-15 minutes, vorlauf, drain and start boil. I have been using brew 365 calc for my calculations on my water and sparging. Is there a better calc out there? Or is it just something I'm missing in my process. It seems like I always end up with a half gallon or more extra wort and end up with low gravity and poor hop utilization. My mash tun is a square cooler with a pvc manifold.

--
Dry Hopped Session Amber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Who's crushing your grain? Have you tested your mash tun for dead space? Put 2 gallons of water in you tun and drain it through the manifold. Now dump whatever is left over into a measuring cup.

Also, if you're always ending up with more wort than you wanted, it means your boil off rate is lower then the calculator thinks. Sparge with slightly less water or boil harder.

If you can't figure out how to get better efficiency, plan your recipes with a lower expected efficiency so that it makes up for it in base grain weight.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
thekage Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
thekage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The crush is coming from my LHBS, he uses the same crush he says in his own commercial brewery.

--
Dry Hopped Session Amber

Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekage View Post
The crush is coming from my LHBS, he uses the same crush he says in his own commercial brewery.
Have him crush it twice next time and see how it goes.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I did my first batch or two using one of those online calculators as a starting point. I then tweaked the numbers to match my system. I do it very similar to you - boil water on burner, transfer it to a cooler by hand, Mash for 60, vorlauf, drain, pour in some sparge water and stir for 5 minutes. Let sit a minute. Stir some more, vorlauf, drain, then boil.

I found that I do not boil off anywhere near the 1 gal/hr that some calculators use. I also found that I am always short on sparge water if I use the calculator.

My point is, take some good notes about the differences between what you thought would happen and what actually happened. Then make small adjustments!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Nothing jumps out at me as you doing anything wrong in your process. You can learn to apply correction factors to what the calculator is telling you. Or you can just move on to a more thorough calculator.

I prefer BeerSmith. There's way more features than I can figure out how to use so far, but everything that I've run into is tweakable so far.

For example, I had told BeerSmith my tun weighted 18 lbs and was all plastic. On brew day, I mashed in and realized I forgot to tell it the weight of my copper manifold and account for colder grain from crushing outdoors. Had to add extra water to bring the temperature up to where I wanted it. Fixed both numbers while mashing so it won't happen again. When I collected my runnings, I came in low-gravity and too much wort as expected; I told BeerSmith what those measurements were while bringing up to boiling and it adjusted the boil schedule on the fly to compensate.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
thekage Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
robfar
Thomas Corcoran Brew Works
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
It seems like I always end up with a half gallon or more extra wort and end up with low gravity ...
Sounds like you're not boiling off enough. You need to match your starting volume to your boil-off rate the get the proper final volume and gravity. Calculators do this, but you have to input the correct value of the boil-off rate for your kettle, burner, and conditions (if you boil in the wind it makes a big difference.)

From your past brews, you should know your final volume (half-gallon high), your starting volume and your boil time. (starting vol - final vol)/boil time = boil-off rate.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
thekage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfar View Post
From your past brews, you should know your final volume (half-gallon high), your starting volume and your boil time. (starting vol - final vol)/boil time = boil-off rate.
This ^ = awesome.

--
Dry Hopped Session Amber

Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
I always end up with a half gallon or more extra wort and end up with low gravity and poor hop utilization. My mash tun is a square cooler with a pvc manifold.
Does the math work out?

In other words - take your gravity, multiply by the volume you collect. Then take that number and divide by what your calculator says you should have collected for volume. How close is that to your expected gravity?

That'll tell you whether your procedure is good. You don't need to start looking for solutions until you know what the problem is.

Sounds to me like you're just putting too much water in your sparges.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This excellent wiki should get you started in the right direction.

Quick Reply