Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fruit Hefeweizen Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
BlackHat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruit Hefeweizen Tips

I'm planning on brewing a fruit hefeweizen soon and was hoping for some general guidance. I've never brewed with fruit before and I haven't found any solid guidelines to follow yet. Can I just take a basic hefeweizen recipe and add fruit to the boil and the secondary? Should I use real fruit or fruit extract or a little of both?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I suspect you will be happier with real fruit or fruit puree.

You can add fruit in the brew pot, primary, or the secondary.

In the brew pot, you add the fruit after you remove the pot from the heat and the temperature drops to 160F. Let it sit at 160F for 30 minutes and then cool the rest of the way. Transfer the fruit to the primary.

You can pasteurize the fruit in water and pectic enzyme by bringing it to 160F for 30 minutes and then puting it in the primary. Since you are doing a hefe, you could probably get away with not using the pectic enzyme because it will be hazy anyway.

Finally, you can do the same thing and add the fruit to the secondary and rack the beer on top of it.

I do the secondary method. There is less of a chance of infecting the beer with wild yeast or bacteria because there is already alcohol in the beer when you add it.

Also, you get about 1.008 to 1.010 points of gravity per pound of fruit per gallon of wort.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Kubed

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sweet! My current hefe is almost gone so it's time to crank out another one. A fruit hefe sounds awesome.

Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have always added extract at bottling and haven't had any issues with taste. That being said I have never tried the reciped with fresh blueberries so I don't have a comparison on what difference there would be.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Fruit beers are quite tasty. I have made several along the way, using real fruit, fruit puree and fruit juice. By far, I have the best success with real fruit. However, you need a lot of it; about 10# (at minimum) for a 5 gal. batch. I have added it during the last 15 min. of the boil, in secondary, and even about 3 weeks before bottling (with the juice). I have a Lambic that I'm drinking now that I added frozen juice concentrate (100% juice) to it and it is probably the best fruit beer I have ever made.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
BlackHat
Recipes 

I think I'll toss some into the end of the boil and a lot into the secondary. I've heard that this causes more krausening. Will it cause enough that I should use a blowoff hose or rack to a large secondary? Thanks for the tips

Old 12-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
slimer

Recipes 

I also read somewhere if you use frozen fruit, some of the cellular walls are broken, therefore providing more fruit flavor.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done it twice, both turned out really good.

I think the idea of 10# for a 5g batch is way off. Even at just over 1#/gallon, it was quite a bit of fruit flavor, and most people would say 1#/gallon is too high.

I would say between 1/2 and 1# of frozen fruit per gallon would be a good starting bit for a very fruity (noticable) brew. For something like the apricot flavor in Magic Hat, that would be WAY too much fruit and would overpower the brew.

Frozen is great. I heat mine up for 15-30 minutes at 160 just to kill any nasties and rack the secondary over it. You will need to use a full size secondary, as that much fruit puts the volume very high. If you try to squeeze it into a 5g carboy with 5g or brew, it will be right up to the top.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
chthonik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Over the summer, we did a strawberry hefe by racking the beer onto the (sanitized) fresh fruit in secondary. The bulk of the sugar in the fruit will get fermented this way.

This fall we did a pumpkin weizenbock and mashed the pumpkin (to convert the sugar). Tasty, but we all decided we'd brew a different style for the next pumpkin beer.

Never used extract or added fruit at bottling (we were concerned about making bottle bombs if we didn't know just how much sugar we were adding via the fruit).

Old 12-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Dycokac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselesslogic
I think I'll toss some into the end of the boil and a lot into the secondary. I've heard that this causes more krausening. Will it cause enough that I should use a blowoff hose or rack to a large secondary? Thanks for the tips
if you are making a hefe with hefe yeast, you should use a blowoff, that yeast is crazy

Since i had a slow gusher last batch, i've made it my rule to use a blowoff on hefe's till they slow down.

Quick Reply