New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fruit in beer - to puree or not to puree?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
2 years later, you got any bottles left?!
Ha! No, I don't. Though one of my brew buddies tends to hold onto things for quite a while and not drink them. Maybe he has one or two, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it after two years.

I thought the chocolate cherry milk stout was pretty good, but needed maybe twice as much cocoa powder (or less cherry, if you just want hints of those flavors). The unheralded star of the show was the lactose, as it resulted in lovely mouthfeel.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: White House Honey Ale (extract); All-grain pale mild
Secondary: none
Bottles: Irish heavy, oaked bourbon porter (extract), black IPA (extract)

On deck: TBD
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
houston_brewer
Recipes 

One idea I've heard about to keep the auto-siphon from clogging is to take either a muslin bag or paint-strainer bag and tie it around the end of the auto-siphon so that it acts as filter. Haven't tried it but I'm getting ready to rack my first strawberry wheat onto strawberries so I'll try this trick out in a couple weeks...just a thought though if you haven't heard of this before

Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #13
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_brewer View Post
One idea I've heard about to keep the auto-siphon from clogging is to take either a muslin bag or paint-strainer bag and tie it around the end of the auto-siphon so that it acts as filter.
Clever! I just saw another thread where a guy who didn't strain out his hops on the way into the primary is going to try the same thing when he racks.

Does anybody know what will happen if I add fruit late (diced apricots, in this case)? I'm going to rack a gallon of what is in my secondary on top of a pound of apricots. I'm not sure if fermentation will start up again, or what. I'm planning to stir up the yeast a bit to help. I decided to try this only after racking to secondary and adding isinglass...

Will this be a disaster?

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: White House Honey Ale (extract); All-grain pale mild
Secondary: none
Bottles: Irish heavy, oaked bourbon porter (extract), black IPA (extract)

On deck: TBD
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Definitely rack through a bag, especially if bottling; fruit chunks, etc. will clog your bottling wand. I used a fresh fruit puree (peach) pasteurized on the stove. Once cooled, I dropped it in the primary 3 days after pitching. Phenomenal flavor!

James

Quick Reply