Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fruit beer... how long in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
jajabee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fruit beer... how long in secondary?

I've had an 8% belgian wheat in primary for the last month, finally racked it onto some fruit and a little corn sugar this morning. Any ideas for how long I should leave it on the fruit to get the flavors out? Obviously the primary fermentation is done, but I want to get as much as I can out of the berries and rhubarb.

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I usually do two weeks minimum for any additions in secondary...draw a sample and taste it then, but realize that when it it carbed and conditioned for a month or so it will fade....if it is "too fruity" then bottle it and let it sit for 3-5 weeks to carb and condition..if it is not quite there yet...give it another week...

you almost want to think "it's ALMOST too much" when you bottle it, knowing that it will mellow with conditioning.

As an aside, I have been cotemplating mixing any fruit additions with a hint of lactose...see if you add corn or table suger, the yeast will eat that and leave you with alcohol and not taste..but I have been thinking that since lactose is non fermentable, that is I could flavor lactose with my fruit or spice essence, it might carry though.

I do a ginger orange beer every year, and have been trying to perfect it..next time, about a week ahead, I am thinking about taking some ginger and orange rind and infuse the lactose with it for a week or so (just putting it in a sanitized jar, with some ginger and orange rind) THEN adding that to my beer.,...hoping sincce lactose is not consumed by the yeast the "flavoniods" of the orange and ginger oils will permeate the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

I...don't like that "wine" taste you get when you allow the fruit to ferment.

Here is how I make my Cherry Wheat now:

Three weeks in the primary to let the primary fermentation to mostly finish.

Crash cool the beer.

Rack to secondary on top of the crushed cherries, trying to minimize yeast in the racking.

One week on the fruit, in the fridge. Once again, trying to minimize secondary fermentation.

Then, into the keg.

You still get some fermentation of the fruit, but not nearly as much. Beats the hell out of adding cherry "cough syrup" (extract).

Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajabee View Post
I've had an 8% belgian wheat in primary for the last month, finally racked it onto some fruit and a little corn sugar this morning. Any ideas for how long I should leave it on the fruit to get the flavors out? Obviously the primary fermentation is done, but I want to get as much as I can out of the berries and rhubarb.
Im curious about your beeries and rhubarb wheat. What process did you do to extract the flavor of the rhubarb?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, I guess I'll give it a few weeks then. This is my first fruit beer, so I don't know if I'll like the "wine" taste or not. If not, I'll know what to do.

Cigars, I just chopped it up, froze it, and then dumped it into the bucket. I have no idea if it's actually going to work. We'll see in a few weeks!

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I do around one month to six weeks. I have no idea what the "wine" taste is Cpt Kirks is talking about, but I usually go light enough on the fruit that its influence on the flavor is pretty subtle. I tend to get more of an aroma/hint of the fruit in my brews.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I...don't like that "wine" taste you get when you allow the fruit to ferment.

Here is how I make my Cherry Wheat now:

Three weeks in the primary to let the primary fermentation to mostly finish.

Crash cool the beer.

Rack to secondary on top of the crushed cherries, trying to minimize yeast in the racking.

One week on the fruit, in the fridge. Once again, trying to minimize secondary fermentation.

Then, into the keg.

You still get some fermentation of the fruit, but not nearly as much. Beats the hell out of adding cherry "cough syrup" (extract).
I got that wine flavor in my first cherry stout. The recipe said to put the 5 pounds of cherries in the primary, never again will I do that! I'll try your tip of 1 week in secondary.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Layla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how did it turn out?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Old thread but i'm racking a hefeweizen on top of blueberries today.

Shooting for 2 weeks in secondary then off to bottle.

It's a first for me, fruit and beer so we'll see what happens.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
newbies13
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Is there a max time? I imagine the fruit begins to rot at some point?

3D Blueprint for making your own 10Gal Mash tun

Quick Reply