Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Frozen Yeast Bank- Strain Exchange?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #31
Bokonon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
The Duchess de Bourgeone strain. I've not been able to determine if the fermentation strain is in the bottle.
Definitely not in the bottle. Just had one recently and I was hoping to get some bugs out of it, but its devoid of any life

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #32
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Definitely not in the bottle. Just had one recently and I was hoping to get some bugs out of it, but its devoid of any life
Bugger! It was worth a shot. I have a few bottles here, and they looked pretty sterile with zero sediment.

I would mind having some of the Orval strain either.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #33
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have WLP007 and Wyeast 3864 in 20 ml bottles ala Flyguy's method.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #34
flyangler18
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123 View Post
I have WLP007 and Wyeast 3864 in 20 ml bottles ala Flyguy's method.
What is 3864? I'm not seeing it on the Wyeast site.

EDIT: Ah, the Unibroue strain! I'd be interested, if you see something in my list that you'd like to try.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #35
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post

I would mind having some of the Orval strain either.
The Orval strain is released commercially by White Labs as part of the May/June platinum series as WLP510. Ferment like normal, then add Brett Brux. in secondary and age.

I'm really interested to hear someone repitch 9097 from a banked source. I am very curious to see if any growth rate differential between the Sacch. strain and Brett component effect a "second generation" beer adversely or not as I am not totally convinced it would result in the same product - analogous to Orval dregs out of the bottle (where I would think most of the Bastogne Sacch. settles out before the bottling process, so I would assume you are pulling more of the Brett if bottle harvesting).

Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #36
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
The Orval strain is released commercially by White Labs as part of the May/June platinum series as WLP510. Ferment like normal, then add Brett Brux. in secondary and age.

I'm really interested to hear someone repitch 9097 from a banked source. I am very curious to see if any growth rate differential between the Sacch. strain and Brett component effect a "second generation" beer adversely or not as I am not totally convinced it would result in the same product - analogous to Orval dregs out of the bottle (where I would think most of the Bastogne Sacch. settles out before the bottling process, so I would assume you are pulling more of the Brett if bottle harvesting).
I really think to culture these reliably you would have to separate out each component. I've heard that orval has something like 4-5 strains added at secondary (with one being brett).

To seperate out the brett I've read you can make a media that is better for brett growth vs normal sach yeast. I'd have to find the article I read about it, it might have been in the lambic FAQ.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #37
flyangler18
Recipes 

Quote:
I think your logic certainly stands to reason, given the difference in growth rates between the Sacch. and the Brett. The really interesting question would be determining just how much/little Brett is necessary for a perceptible flavor profile. I'll admit- I know very little about the science at work here, but it fascinates me just the same!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #38
flyangler18
Recipes 

Updated List, all slanted:

WY9097
WY1275
WY1469PC
WY1728
WLP002
WLP013
WLP036
WLP400
WLP570
WY3787
WY3724
WY1338

Ran myself out of prepared slants, so I just prepped another 25 vials for future slanting. Canning wort before hand saves on time immensely.

Last edited by flyangler18; 03-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply