Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fridge & Fermenting Temp Control - Quick Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Sinalikesbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Not sure if you decided on a method, but this is what I did for my heating temp control.
I connected a small 1500 watt fan heater to my Electrical Johnson control that is attached to my fermentation chamber (a True model Pepsi Fridge). I set the controller to heating mode and to cut-out at my set temp (this involves moving the pins inside the face of the controller, real easy)

The fan circulates the hot air throughout the fridge, cuts off right at my set point. Works like a charm.

I set the probe of the temp control right against my carboy, covered it with insulated bubble wrap and taped it down.

Here is the link to show you how to set the pins of the Johnson controller to heat mode:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/image...A419ABG-3C.pdf

Hope this helps.

photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-1.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd say use this. Just tape it to the side wall of your fridge and you're off to the races.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWE...-P518C100.aspx

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm thinking about getting one of these and wiring an outlet in place of my light fixture in my ferm cabinet...maybe even cut the plug and hard-wire it straight into my e-bay controller.

The pic is darned near actual size: 3.8 x 4.3 x 6.1 inches ; 1.6 pounds and only 200w power usage. Should be more than enough for a 3'd x 4'w x 4'h box.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Prod...eater/16503222

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Right now in NC it is no warmer than 60 degrees
It is 60 degrees in your house? I keep my house at 74 this time of year, so my fermentation chamber still has to cool down to 64 for an average ale fermentation, and no heater is required. If you DO keep your house at 60, why not just turn on the heat up to 64 in your house and ferment in a closet?

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
Okie12beer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrriiide
I'm thinking about getting one of these and wiring an outlet in place of my light fixture in my ferm cabinet...maybe even cut the plug and hard-wire it straight into my e-bay controller.

The pic is darned near actual size: 3.8 x 4.3 x 6.1 inches ; 1.6 pounds and only 200w power usage. Should be more than enough for a 3'd x 4'w x 4'h box.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Prod...eater/16503222
I just put one of these in my freezer. It was $11 at Walmart. I unplugged the freezer from the temp controller, changed it to heat mode and plugged this in. I was doing some lagers but it is time to warm up for ale now. It is small, cheap, and slow to change the temp so there are not hot spots. It seems to work great.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie12beer View Post
I just put one of these in my freezer. It was $11 at Walmart. I unplugged the freezer from the temp controller, changed it to heat mode and plugged this in. I was doing some lagers but it is time to warm up for ale now. It is small, cheap, and slow to change the temp so there are not hot spots. It seems to work great.
Ya, I picked one up for $11 @ WalrusWorld today. It's making a difference in the ferm box, for sure! I was using a 100w light bulb, so I bought a screw-base outlet adapter for 2 more bux and plugged it right in. E-bay controller took it from there.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Murray
Recipes 

Yeah I have found the immersion heater is actuallly fine. It does get hot, but you get convection and so the beer around it circulates a bit. Also, with a small heater in a large bosy of beer, you get a kind've gradual temperature profile. The thing I like about the immersion heater is it is dead easy to use. Just stick it in the top of your fermenter and dangle it into your beer.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

@Murray~

I was thinking there'd be a convection effect as the beer warms up. I'll have to try this out myself. Cheers for the response!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
brumer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Awesome

I still havent brewed using the fridge and new set up. I am planning on brewing on Monday, no matter what. Ive been forcing myself to get done with my RIMS.

I definitely like the walmart heater better than a heat lamp or hair dryer. Will pick one up on the way home tomorrow. However, that brewers heater is pretty freakin' sweet. I can see myself adding that at a later date bc I need a solution by Monday...

Quick Reply