Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fresh zest....to "dry zest" or late addition boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
MonkeyWrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fresh zest....to "dry zest" or late addition boil?

Quite some time ago I did a wheat with cascade and "dry zested" with 2 lemon peels worth of zest (just the very outer zest, no white). It turned out good, the lemon was a good match with cascade. I added the zest to the secondary, but have not used a secondary (or zest) since.

My wife really likes Widmer's Shaddock IPA, It is their X-114 Citra IPA with grapefruit peel added.

I'm going to brew up a an extract hop burst IPA with Amarillo and Simcoe (cause I don't have Citra).

Anyone brewed with grapefruit zest? What would you recommend? I'm just looking for a little aroma and flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'd add the zest at flameout or just before. Last I zested I added it all at 3 minutes. Recipe said 5 but I wanted flameout. My brain compromised and went 3 instead. Still fermenting so I can't say how it turned out.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 679

I use it regularly and add it at flameout. You can also soak it in vodka and add it before bottling or secondary

Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
mikecshultz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used it for a honey wit. I added it at 5 min. But you could also do it at flame out. The key is to add more than you think you need, especially with an IPA, because it will be over powered by the hops.

Quick Reply