Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Freezing Lactobacillius
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Freezing Lactobacillius

Ok so I received my "pouch" of Lacto from NorthernBrewer. If I wanted to use this on thursday and wanted to keep enough around to use in other beer down the road could I make a starter and freeze half? Landhoney thought that making a slurry of 30% Glycerine and 70% water and mixing the two together. Would this work?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
sause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
landhoney's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Palm, FL
Posts: 1,359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I guess I'm the guy that suggested it comma but just to let you know: I've made about 6-7 successful starters from frozen yeast using this method. You didn't mention how long you need to keep it for the next batch though comma so if your planning on using it in the next couple months I'd just save the whole cake in the fridge. Lastly comma if your using only Lacto in the beer you could culture it back up from a bottle(never done this with homebrew comma but I have done this with commercial beer). Anyway comma I know others here do this and will chime in.

__________________
landhoney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
talleymonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
talleymonster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,089
Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I guess I'm the guy that suggested it comma but just to let you know: I've made about 6-7 successful starters from frozen yeast using this method. You didn't mention how long you need to keep it for the next batch though comma so if your planning on using it in the next couple months I'd just save the whole cake in the fridge. Lastly comma if your using only Lacto in the beer you could culture it back up from a bottle(never done this with homebrew comma but I have done this with commercial beer). Anyway comma I know others here do this and will chime in.
Is your "comma" button broken?
__________________

talleymonster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,499
Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

He's just sucking up to The Sause, for some reason

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
He's just sucking up to The Sause, for some reason
Because the sause is a killer? But Seriously I would normally just pitch the pouch and the yeast and be done with it but if I want to make another batch I would have to buy this again. If I made a big starter could I just spilt it into two and freeze half like landhoney says?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant
sause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
landhoney's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Palm, FL
Posts: 1,359
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
He's just sucking up to The Sause, for some reason
Just trying to be friendly/joking, the guy likes the word 'comma', I'll stop doing that, sorry. I wasn't trying to suck up.
__________________
landhoney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fractional freezing Brewster2256 General Beer Discussion 66 05-05-2011 05:58 AM
Freezing AJ accroul Cider Forum 1 04-10-2009 11:32 PM
Why is my C02 Regulator freezing up? brewjunky Equipment/Sanitation 2 09-29-2008 12:49 PM
Freezing fermentations marshman General Techniques 17 12-07-2007 02:52 PM
Freezing LME? denimglen General Techniques 3 09-21-2007 09:41 PM