New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Force Carbing with Long Diptube (Out) Diptube?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Aunt_Ester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Force Carbing with Long Diptube (Out) Diptube?

So I was cleaning and sanitizing a ball lock corny one night when I was tired and put the dip tubes in the wrong sides. When I hooked up the gas I heard the keg blowing bubbles and thought it was odd, but just went to bed. Two days later I went to pull a sample and only pulled gas; it was then that I realized my bone headed mistake.

The sample had already reached 1 volume in just two days. I injected with 6 PSI at 55 degrees.

Has anyone else performed this experiment with a control?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah - that is basically how use use a carbonation stone except you use the proper dip tube and just attached some tubing to get the bubbler down near the bottle. You are creating more surface area to diffuse the co2 through, so you dramatically decrease the absorption time. Big bubbles = a little more surface area. Tiny bubbles = a ton more surface area.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
TheKeggingPart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's a good strategy that I use from time to time when I need the beer carbonated yesterday. The biggest barrier to CO2 being absorbed into solution is the surface area of the liquid / gas interface. By releasing the CO2 at the bottom of the liquid dip tube, you are creating a small sphere which then has to travel all the way up to the headspace. When it gets there, it causes a ripple. This ripple helps lower the surface tension of the liquid (beer) a bit so gas can be more readily absorbed. Of course, more pressure = more bubbles from the bottom = faster carb time.

Why not do it every time? I'm too lazy to switch a gas line to a liquid connector and then back again.

--
Use unmodified commercial kegs in your homebrew setup with this useful guide!

justkev52 Likes This 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Without a diffusion stone to break up into millions of smaller bubbles, this method only provides a very marginal gain in carbonation speed. As suggested above, the gain isn't worth the trouble of swapping the tubes later. They do make a lid with a bubbler wand in it that you can either leave in the keg or swap out after carbonation is complete.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
wailingguitar Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 30

How hard is it to replace the dip tubes? I've been thinking about using a keg to carbonate beer faster, and getting one keg to use just for that purpose with a diffusion stone on a long dip gas dip tube. I have seen these for sale in the past, but now that I go to look for one, I can't find it. I see that there are the lid kits, but that looks like its just going to wind up a big mess pulling the lid off with the floppy vinyl tubing.
TD

Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
billybryson54
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

With a tiny bit of ingenuity, you could rig up a piece of tubing to your already-existing gas-in post, and put a diffusion stone on the other end. Ive used this method before but personally, I don't like it due to sanitation concerns. I just don't feel lt's worth the extra risk to shave a only a little bit of time to carbonate. However, if you want to try it out, it does deal with not having to buy/modify an extra lid.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybryson54
With a tiny bit of ingenuity, you could rig up a piece of tubing to your already-existing gas-in post, and put a diffusion stone on the other end. Ive used this method before but personally, I don't like it due to sanitation concerns. I just don't feel lt's worth the extra risk to shave a only a little bit of time to carbonate. However, if you want to try it out, it does deal with not having to buy/modify an extra lid.
Hmm good call.

I have a stone sintered (what exactly sintered means I don't know) to a SS rod, roughly the same size as a dip tube. I use for oxygenating my wort. I wonder if the length is about right to put into a corny keg that has a straight dip tube, and then I wouldn't need to buy a thing! BUT I would have to disassemble to get it in and out.

Is there a way to accurately measure the volumes of co2 dissolved in a keg? Is there a way to calculate rate of carbonation using these diffusion stones, at a certain pressure and certain temperature?

TD

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Had another thought about using my existing oxygenation stone on a SS wand instead of in place of the gas in dip tube, installed on a spare keg lid. Fitted with a gas post. Not sure how the parts would all connect though.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That is virtually what a brite tank is right? A vessel with more surface area on top than a conical, with a diffuser in it? Get a diffuser, turn your keg on its side. Done. Most breweries are utilizing brite tanks for only a few days, if that tells you anything.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesound View Post
That is virtually what a brite tank is right? A vessel with more surface area on top than a conical, with a diffuser in it? Get a diffuser, turn your keg on its side. Done. Most breweries are utilizing brite tanks for only a few days, if that tells you anything.
It'd be tough for me to put my keg on its side in the fridge, but I see your point. the oxygenation device i use is a diffuser but I use it for oxygen, I imagine CO2 would work just as well.

TD

Quick Reply