Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > foil ok on secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
peterfuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default foil ok on secondary?

I am splitting a batch into containers of different kinds of fruit. I haven't got enough airlocks for these, even if the airlocks fitted.

Can i simply cover the lids well with sanitized kitchen foil like i would a starter?

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Theoretically, yes. I'd be somewhat concerned, though, that the suspended yeast in your beer will start fermenting the sugars in the fruit. This, of course, will release CO2. If you simply cover your secondary with foil, pressure will build up, and bust through the foil. Be sure both the beer and the fruit are cold, and you should be fine.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
jrkettle
Recipes 

Yeah it's fine. I use foil on all my carboys during primary fermentation. If you're racking onto fruit, fermentation should start up again and the beer will be protected by the co2. Pressure doesn't really build up under the foil since the foil doesn't create a tight seal.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkettle View Post
Yeah it's fine. I use foil on all my carboys during primary fermentation. If you're racking onto fruit, fermentation should start up again and the beer will be protected by the co2. Pressure doesn't really build up under the foil since the foil doesn't create a tight seal.
+1 its true. I use foil half the time and pressure is no issue

Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you are concerned about it you could do this.

Get your square of foil, poke a pencil sized hole in the center. Take another small 1x1 or 1/2x1/2 inch square piece of foil (cling wrap would be better) and tape it down over the hole, but only on three sides.

Star san and place the foil over the carboy mouth and rubberband down.

Any build up of CO2 will escape through the hole, once the over presure is gone it will give an ok seal from anything airborne. I'd give it a shot of star-san every day or so to be safe.

Edit: The issue you run into when using a "secondary" is that there usually is not as much CO2 do displace the air and keep out the nasties like during primary fermentation.

On a side note this method works for sucking chest wounds also.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
peterfuse

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

cool thanks, it wasn't the pressure i was worried about it was more infection concerns and hopefully the fruit starting up fermentation again will purge the air from the fermenters so no worries.

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Infection from the particles in the air is of no concern; your concern with foil on secondary is with fruit flies. Take it from me---I found out the hard way. Okay, so it didn't hurt the batch, it actually turned out just fine, but still...you don't want fruit flies in there! If you have fruit flies in your brewery or wherever you're fermenting, just make sure you put that foil on very tight, and poke a few tiny pinholes in the top of it, not big enough for fruit flies but enough to let co2 out.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Agreed with the above. My concern about pressure was based upon the assumption that you would affix the foil to the secondary somehow (rubber bands, tape, etc.).

My infection concerns would be from the fruit itself, rather than the foil. I keep a spray bottle of sanitizer in my "brewery" (aka garage), and quickly spray anything that comes in contact with my beer vessels. Do that and you are fine from airborne or other foreign sources of infection.

Quick Reply