The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fly Sparge Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
jstclair05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fly Sparge Question

I've been reading that fly sparking has the possibility of extracting tannins from the mash due to a rise in pH. Has anyone noticed this? If so, have you tried modifying your Sparge water to lower the pH (maybe with citric acid?) what were your results? I think I may try it this weekend and I'll let you know the results

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Wynne-R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Continuous sparging with alkaline water is liable to use up the buffer in the mash and extract tannins. It’s less of a problem with batch sparging.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-ch...er-calculator/
If you have a water report this calculator will figure out the acid for you.
If not you could sparge with RO water. If the astringency disappears you’ll know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply