Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Floaters...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
IcaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Floaters...

So I have 2 batches in the secondary right now, one has been there for 2 weeks and the other one has been there for just one. The one that has been sitting for a week is alot lighter and there appears to be little bits of something floating in it, kind of looks like mold.... Is it ok? Its only been sitting for a week, so I was planning on letting it sit for at least another week. Will the floaters eventually sink? My real concern is the one that has been sitting for 2 weeks. I was hoping to bottle today, but don't know if I should because that one may have floaters too, it's too dark to really see.... Any thoughts? These are my first two batches... so I don't know what to expect... Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If your floaters look fuzzy, then it may be mold, but more than likely it is yeast. Don't worry.

A picture would be nice though, just to be sure.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's probably not mold...it takes a long time for mold to grow in beer and it grows on the surface...plus it's really hard to ruin beer...

It is most likely a combination of hop pieces and Irish moss kicked up. It still needs a couple more weeks and it will settle down...You probably even racked to soon, which kicked up fermentation and co2 which kicked up the gunk from the bottom...

Give it time...or do a search on "finnings" "gelatin" and "Cold crashing."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Next time, double-flush.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
IcaBrew
Recipes 

I took some pictures, but can't figure out how to post them. I think it could be mold though... If it is, then what? Is all hope lost? Anything I can do?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Next time, double-flush.
"Once for the bulk, and again for the remainder!"

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like Revvy said

Quote:
It's probably not mold...it takes a long time for mold to grow in beer and it grows on the surface
It's fine....relax....the beer is making you crazy...........

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
IcaBrew
Recipes 

I dont know... I've been pretty crazy for awhile... and most of this is on top, but I'll wait it out. Just out of curiosity though... What usually causes mold and is there anything that can be done?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcaBrew View Post
I dont know... I've been pretty crazy for awhile... and most of this is on top, but I'll wait it out. Just out of curiosity though... What usually causes mold and is there anything that can be done?
There's wild yeast and bacteria on EVERYTHING...your skin...the dust particles in the air...it's all over the place and you cannot escape it. What "causes" beer infection (it's not "mold", btw, it's bacteria) typically is poor sanitation practices.

If you do get infected accidentally, the only real thing to do, once you're sure it's actually infected, is to dump it. By the way, here's what a true (intended) infection looks like:

It's a flanders red that I'm fermenting with bugs (bacteria), and will one day be a sour beer. But don't think that you can just accidentally infect your porter and have a lambic...doesn't work that way.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You have n00bitus, that is all....your beer would haveto have been sitting still for several months for moldspores to have developed in there....and you would have had to have compromised the integrity of the fermenter and forgotten to sanitize the fermenter to begin with.....3 weeks is not enough time, it's floaties

put your picts on photobucket or another web hosting site, then use the [ img ] and [ / img ] to post them (minus the spaces)....And we'll more than likely continue to say everything's fine....

Almost all n00bs are convinced their beer is infected...and 99.999 times it ain't.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply