Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Flavor/Aroma Hop additions: 30/15:5/flame

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Armen_Tamzarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Flavor/Aroma Hop additions: 30/15:5/flame

Hey all,

I was having a debate with some buddies. What do you all prefer for flavor and aroma hop additions.

I personally stick to 15 min additions for flavor and 5 min additions for my aroma when writing recipes.

Some of my buddies seems to prefer 30 min for flavor and 15 and 5 for aroma. Do you think this makes it more rounded?

I guess it can very with style and what you're going for. I find myself doing 60:15:5 more often then not though.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm with you on the times for the most part... but it does depend on what I'm brewing/the style.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I do a bittering addition at 60 and then other additions from 20 to flame out.

I think a 30 minute addition will not add much flavor but mostly bitterness.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

You need to inside the 20 mark for flavor and aroma addition. There is a nice chart around here...hopefully some one will post it.

I do 5 additions of hops in all my beers, they are all within 20 minutes, its called hop bursting or late hopping...I highly recommend it if you want an aggressive beer in terms of hop flavor and aroma

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
WiscoMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Last 15 minutes for flavor, last 5 minutes for aroma....although adding with only 1 or 2 minutes left has great result for aroma. I would say that with 30 minutes left in the boil, adding would mostly be for bittering and not flavor.

Bottle Conditioning:

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
KurtisCummings
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm subscribing to this thread in hopes someone will post this magical chart!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was just about to start this same thread. Great minds think alike huh? LOL I am not getting the hop flavor that I am looking for. The last 2 batches I made a irish red and a cream ale you cant hardly taste the hops at all. Both are extract kits from midwest supplies. I followed the recipe fairly close except for putting the second hop addition in at 5 minute rather than 2. Maybe just need more hops?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Bittering/flavoring/aroma are not discrete "events" on the boil timeline, as some graphics that float around these interwebs suggest. Each addition will give you some of each.
For instance, you can make an IPA without ever boiling the hops at all if you wanted to (I think Heretic does something like that). On the cold side, dry hops are often described as "aroma-only", but they produce a lot of flavor and sometimes even mouthfeel modification (tannins) as well. Dry hops can even increase perceived bitterness, even though they don't contribute any iso-alpha acids to the beer. First wort hops physically contribute more iso-alpha acids to a wort than a 60-minute addition, but to me the perception of that bitterness is so mellow that it feels substantially less bitter.

Generally, I bitter at 60' using Magnum or Horizon in most cases. In an IPA I'll add some Columbus to beef up the "agressiveness" of the bitterness. If I do a mid-boil addition, it's usually within the last 15 minutes. And for "aroma", I usually do it right at flameout.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

For IPAs, I prefer small charges at 60 and 30 (or 90/45)... then large doses around 15-8 minutes left in the boil (you don't have to be picky), followed by a huge warm steep whirlpool addition and substantial dryhop (both with pellet hops). This method gives you smooth, yet high rounded bitterness and a ton of flavor/aroma.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
I was just about to start this same thread. Great minds think alike huh? LOL I am not getting the hop flavor that I am looking for. The last 2 batches I made a irish red and a cream ale you cant hardly taste the hops at all. Both are extract kits from midwest supplies. I followed the recipe fairly close except for putting the second hop addition in at 5 minute rather than 2. Maybe just need more hops?
You chose two of the least hoppy styles out there, so barely being able to taste the hops is a sign that you're brewing the kits correctly. If you want hoppy kits, try an APA, American IPA or DIPA.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Quick Reply