Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Flameout Hops vs Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
imperialist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flameout Hops vs Dry Hopping

I'm working on a really citrusy American Pale ale and I want to know your thoughts on post-boil hops additions vs dry hopping. What are the pros and cons of each? I like clear beers which is the hesitation I have about dry hopping, but I also love the strong hops aroma you get from a heavy dry hopping. Can I get the same aroma from a large post-boil hops addition?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My opinion is no, you don't get the great hops aroma from late additions like you do from dry hopping. Whenever I make a pale, I lean towards the dry hop, even in a small amount anywhere from 0.5-1.5oz over a flameout addition (even though I'll usually have a 0min in there too). I think you get more bang from your buck adding the hops after fermentation is complete. If you're worried about clarity, you can put the hops in a bag and remove it before racking, but I've never noticed a big difference in my highly dry hopped brews.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Do both if your really looking for that super-hoppy flavor/aroma...I do with every IPA

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Both is best. I like to limit dry hopping to limit grassiness and have moved to rather large flameout additions over the years. The trick is to keep the wort hot with the flameout addition in it for a while. I do 30 minutes and then chill in 15ish. Ray Daniel's suggested over an hour at an NHC a few years ago. This putting hops in and then chilling in 15 seconds stuff is a waste of hops.

You can make a beer with huge hop aroma without a dry hop this way. I still like a bit of dry hop though.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I like this thread. I want it to continue.

Time to have some fun

Old 02-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
amingo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My favorite method so far is to do a 60 min addition for most of the IBUs and then pile on the 15, 10, 5 and flame out additions. Dry hop with at least 2 oz for 14 days and drink as soon as possible. The dry hops tend to diminish quickly with age.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm brewing a Belgian IPA tomorrow. Additions at 60 min and then no more until flameout. Following that up with dry hopping.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd suggest checking out hopbursting. Jamil wrote an article a few years back in Zymurgy. His Evil Twin recipe from that article is delicious. Trying that technique got me interested in different ways to add hop flavor and aroma.

Recently I tried adding "hop tea" on the waning side of fermentation. I also dry hopped as per normal. I liked that combo very much. I will play with that combo for the next few APA batches.

Even with the hop tea, I still think most of my hop aroma is from my dry hopping. I use pellets and an extra fine nylon bag. It keeps the hop particles out of the keg.

Cheers

Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
jmhart
Recipes 

IME a combination is best, but that really intense hop aroma you're looking for won't be achieved without dry hopping.

Maybe find some whole hops and use a hop bag. That'd help with that clouding issue, at least a little.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I notice that by the time I've let my beer sit and clear and let it clean up any off/young flavors the hop aroma has faded significantly, and w/o a dry hop addition I would be disappointed in the beer. My expierence is to limit boil additions to a bittering hop and maybe a flamout hop but id add the ones I want to stand out in the dry hop, but adding irish moss really will help clear the beer up, and the dry hop cloudiness will barely be noticed

Quick Reply