Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fixing a Thin Body Beer after Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Fixing a Thin Body Beer after Primary

I recently brewed an AG Coconut Porter which has been in the primary for three and a half weeks. Just did a taste test before putting in the secondary for another week on more coconut and I think while taste is there, the body feels thin. I know being warm and not carbonated is a factor, but seems thinner than previous beers.

So is there anything that can be done to increase the body after the beer it's been fully fermented?

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - California Common
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
2thGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Some people try adding maltodextrin or lactose. Lactose will also add sweetness. To add them you boil in some water to sterilize them add to secondary vessel then rack onto it.

However, the best thing would be to raise your mash temperature in the future.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks! Was too late for me to do either as I was tasting and racking to secondary yesterday before posting the message.

I do remember being a little under my 154 mash temp. I hit something like 152.9 and just let it go. Now I know better! It smells great, tastes great, just as thin mouth feel. What's the song...two out of three ain't bad?

Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter

Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
ong
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can add maltodextrine or lactose in the bottling bucket, too.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ong View Post
You can add maltodextrine or lactose in the bottling bucket, too.
Oh good! How much maltodextrine for 5 gallons would you normally add?

Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter

Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im going to through this out there, not sure what would happen. What about adding cocunut milk to the secondary? Not sure what the fat/oil would do to the beer. But I know I will brew a pot of coffee and add some coconut milk to it, awesome. Might fix the body too!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte-brew View Post
Im going to through this out there, not sure what would happen. What about adding cocunut milk to the secondary? Not sure what the fat/oil would do to the beer. But I know I will brew a pot of coffee and add some coconut milk to it, awesome. Might fix the body too!
While I know coconut milk is not really "milk", I still would have this weird feeling about pouring in to the beer! Plus I already have a pound of toasted coconut in the boil and another pound in the secondary, so don't want to really overpower it with coconut! I've made this beer before and had even more coconut last time and the first month after in the bottle it was very strong coconut flavor...think a liquid Mounds Bar, but then mellowed out over a few months.

Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter

Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

So you're tasting it uncarbed? Just about EVERY new brewer who starts a thread about how thin a beer seems is trying it green and un carbed. Carbonation goes a long way to giving beer the perception of fullness. Ever had fountain coke where the mix was not quite right? Remember how thin that seemed?

You can never judge a beer fully, be it body or off flavors or whatever in the primary or a secondary. You really need to have it fully carbed and conditioned to know whether or not anything is wrong.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

eastoak Likes This 
Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So you're tasting it uncarbed? Just about EVERY new brewer who starts a thread about how thin a beer seems is trying it green and un carbed. Carbonation goes a long way to giving beer the perception of fullness. Ever had fountain coke where the mix was not quite right? Remember how thin that seemed?

You can never judge a beer fully, be it body or off flavors or whatever in the primary or a secondary. You really need to have it fully carbed and conditioned to know whether or not anything is wrong.
I understand all that, have been brewing for several years and mentioned that I knew being warm and not carbed was a factor. However I made this beer before and fell that at this stage it as the lighter feel than the previous version. But you are right, right now it's just a perceived light body and could be, hopefully will be, fine when carbed and chilled. Of course at that point in the game it would be kind of too late to fix the issue if it is too light. Thanks for the input!

Secondary - Empty
Kegged - 1774 Porter

Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Seriously, I wouldn't add anything to the beer at this point- adding powdered adjuncts and things might work, but in my experience band-aiding beers rarely goes well. Just make it better next time. You'll need to boil the malto in some water to get it to dissolve and sanitize, but that's adding more water, which isn't helping your body, and you're adding another step where you could potentially introduce oxygen or bugs into an otherwise healthy beer.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply