Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fixing SRM post boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
harrymanback92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Fixing SRM post boil

So after I added my sparge water to the mashtun (after collecting my first runnings) I realized I broke my thermometer in the sparge kettle, contaminating the water. My thermometer is alcohol based, and that part didn't break so no worries there, but the metal was lead (it did not stick to any magnets) so in good judgmenet I dumped my sparge runnings. Thankfully I had a couple pounds of Malt Extract on hand so I topped off the kettle with water, and added DME to get closer to my intended gravity. However, diluting my first runnings with just water changed my color quite a bit. It's still dark, but it went from motor oil black to a dark brown.

How can I change the SRM of my beer post-boil? I was thinking of doing a 2qt minimash with some 2-row and a couple pounds of CarafaIII(the dark malt I'm using in this beer), boiling it, and pitching during fermentation. Any problems doing this?

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
piteko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymanback92 View Post
How can I change the SRM of my beer post-boil? I was thinking of doing a 2qt minimash with some 2-row and a couple pounds of CarafaIII(the dark malt I'm using in this beer), boiling it, and pitching during fermentation. Any problems doing this?
Short answer: I don't think there is any problem.

Long answer: it depends on your definition of "problem"
With every adjunct you use, you alter the taste of your beer.
- you can add the carafa III, it's done the same with the traditional style of 60/ where there is a small amount of roasted malt just to add color and a bit of dry finish.
- you can add something else. Caramel is used in england for the same purpose. It should give you less flavour than the carafa III (not the dry part of it). I had once a similar problem with a beer but I realized it just before bottling. I used a bit of "instant soluble barley" which is nothing but soluble barley coffee. It came out as it should be.

But you already have the extract steering you on a different flavour from your original recipe. So, I think you should try to understand how to return back to the original recipe flavour. Maybe tasting the worth could give you a hint.

Good luck from Italy!
Piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply