Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
rhinoceroceros
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default first wort hopping

I'm making a sierra Nevada pale ale partial mash clone today and would like to try first wort hopping, but the recipe doesn't call for it.

The hop schedule is as follow:
.5 oz perle at 90 min
1 oz cascade at 45 min
1.5 oz cascade at flameout

My question is, how do I adjust for FWH? I assumed I just make my flameout addition my FWH addition instead, but I wanted to be sure. Happy brew day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

No, you would make the pearle your FWH, I usually FWH when I've collected all my wort and I start bring it to a boil, keep your flameout additions that is all your flavor/aroma

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Exactly, take the 90 minute addition and make it the FWH and then proceed with the rest as scheduled. I AG brew and place my FWH addition in the kettle and then begin to collect my runnings. This allows the wort to begin steeping with the hops during the entire process of wort collection.

If you BIAB, it is my understanding most people add the FWH once they have collected their wort as they begin to bring up to boil.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
rhinoceroceros
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I thought the main benefit of FWH was getting flavor and aroma from the hops as well as bittering. Which is why I thought you add the flameout addition, but I'll go with the perle. Since I'm doing a partial mash I'll add them to my brew kettle as I begin collecting my wort

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoceroceros View Post
I thought the main benefit of FWH was getting flavor and aroma from the hops as well as bittering. Which is why I thought you add the flameout addition, but I'll go with the perle. Since I'm doing a partial mash I'll add them to my brew kettle as I begin collecting my wort
The science is a little vague but with FWH you still get the bittering addition although it is slightly more mellow and for some reason there is still a retention of some flavor and aroma although it is subdued.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoceroceros View Post
I don't buy the flavor/aroma aspect of FWH, but I have noticed a mellower bitterness which compensates for the few extra IBU you get. That's reason enough for me. I would never use FWH for flavor/aroma.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I don't buy the flavor/aroma aspect of FWH, but I have noticed a mellower bitterness which compensates for the few extra IBU you get. That's reason enough for me. I would never use FWH for flavor/aroma.
To an extent I agree with you however awhile back I was doing some small test batches and did a SMaSH with 99% MO, 1%Crystal 40 and a 1.5oz FWH of cascade as the only hop addition and believe it or not there was an element of flavor and aroma in the finished product using a 60 minute boil and two weeks primary with WY1056 fermented at 64F, finished at 1.010.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gordon Strong in Brewing Better Beer mentions that he feels that FWH adds nothing to the aroma profile, but adds significantly to the flavor profile.
He considers FWH as providing as much as 50% more flavor than the same amount of 20 minute hops.
As an example he mentions that if he wanted a flavor addition of 1.5oz @ 20 min, he would substitute 1oz @ FWH.
Bitterness would be calculated as @ 60 minutes, but may be perceived to be lower because of the smoothness.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

FWH seems to be one of those brewing ideas that some swear by while others scoff at; I tried it a half dozen times and tasted zero difference and sensed no added aromas. I am not going to say it is a myth or anything but I have not seen any added benefit. Frankly to get a real opinion you'd need to brew two batches one with a FWH and one without and have a third party (or six) taste for any differences.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

To an extent I agree with you however awhile back I was doing some small test batches and did a SMaSH with 99% MO, 1%Crystal 40 and a 1.5oz FWH of cascade as the only hop addition and believe it or not there was an element of flavor and aroma in the finished product using a 60 minute boil and two weeks primary with WY1056 fermented at 64F, finished at 1.010.
I always thought only one grain was used for smash? No?

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Quick Reply