Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First time using my stirplate! Is it ready?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Kimsta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default First time using my stirplate! Is it ready?

I'm really itchin to start Cheeses' VCCA and right now I have a starter going on the stirplate. I left it on overnight (round midnight) and the stirbar ended up off balance in the morning. I turned it off and back on again and now 8 hours later I have a little layer of foam and lots of bubbles flowing throughout the wort. Is this considered ready to pitch? I'd like to get this going tonight if possible. Also, will it be ok if I just throw the entire starter in, rather than decanting? I've got a 2000ml starter going... so 1300 ish mL of h20 and 1 cup of Xlight DME.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The bulk of the yeast reproduction is done in 12-18 hours on a stir plate. If you have had it on even close to 12 you will be fine.

Taste a little, if it tastes ok pitch it. I have found stir plates oxidize the wort and make it taste like something I don't want to add to my beers, so I decant as much as I can. If I have time to crash cool it I can get almost all the wort off the yeast, if not I just decant until I start to loose yeast and then pitch what ever is left.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Kimsta

Recipes 

Alright, it is starting to look really good now. The stirbar is struggling to keep a vortex. I'll throw it in an icebath to get as much of the wort away from the yeast

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am no expert but I dont think Yeast care for a sudden change in temperature. The least I would do is put it in the fridge for a few hours.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Kimsta

Recipes 

I ended up just leaving it outside (50F degrees) for a few... didn't do much. I'm going to just chuck it all in, after all, it didn't taste like much.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've always chilled and decanted my starters (I use a stirplate) and have had lag times ~10-12 hrs. This weekend I pitched a whole 1.3 L starter for the first time, about 18 hours after I made it, and holy s#@t!!

I've never had a fermentation take off like this. 3 hr lag time and krausen up to the neck of the carboy in 10 hours. As for how it affects the taste, ask me in about 5 weeks, but I'm encouraged so far.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #7
Kimsta

Recipes 

Very nice! Mine took off like crazy too... Started in about 10 hours which was a lot quicker than I expected.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Along similar lines...

With a stirplate and 2000mL starter what's the usual length that it takes for it to ferment out (~1.050)? Gonna freeze the yeast and don't wanna do it too soon.

Quick Reply