Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First major problem with brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
DrugCoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First major problem with brewing

I brewed an AHS Abita Purple Haze clone night before last and I'm still not getting any activity. Due to trying to sell our house I haven't brewed in a while so this kit was about 7 months old. The yeast was a Wyeast Activator and was also about the same age. I hit my OG right on, got it down to 68 degrees and pitched the yeast. Nothing. I had another identical Activator in the fridge which was about 8 months old, and same thing. Nothing. So I thought I'd warm it up. Got it up to about 75 over an 8 hour period and kept it there overnight. Nothing.

What are the odds that I have two dead packs of yeast? With those two bad packs in there, can i just order some more yeast and pitch it as soon as it gets here? I'm about 2 hours from the closest LHBS so I can't just run out and get some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Did the activator packs swell? did they have a date on them? Were they stored in the fridge since you've had them?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If the packs swelled then your fine. Just give it some time.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
DrugCoder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, that's the thing, they swelled but not fully. Normally the activators will swell to the point of looking like they're gonna explode. These didn't even get halfway close. the date said they were about 8 months old. Yes they were in the fridge the whole time. When i get a shipment that's the first thing I do.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Your good. Just some time.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Quick Reply