OK, so I am going to do my first lager this weekend. A doppelbock kit.
I got some wyeast 2206XL in an activator pack and I want to use my new selfmade stirplate.
This is what I plan to do on the yeast side:
1. 36 hours before pitching I will activate the yeast pack. Should active the yeast in 6-12 hours.
2. Create 1L starter using light DME.
3. 30-24 hours before pitching transfer yeast from activator pack to starter and place on stirplate until pitching time.
4. I plan to pitch at room temp and leave it there until I see activity, then move to 50F fermentation chamber. Ferment 2-3 weeks at 50F, 3 days at room for diactyl rest, the cool to 305F and lager for weeks.
Here are my questions:
1. After activation should I place the activatr pack at roomtemp, fermentation temp (50F) ?
2. After transfering to starter should I place the stirplate at roomtemp or fermentation temp (50F) ?
I know the starter should be bigger, but I only have a 1L bottle, better small than nothing at all. Any feedback is appreciated