Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First lager, undecided on whether to proceed with a secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default First lager, undecided on whether to proceed with a secondary

So in my first 12 months of brewing, I've completed a number of very successful ales, never once racking to a secondary, as I saw early on the community's general disdain for the practice, with the current knowledge being that the minor risk of autolysis and off flavours was questionable, and not worth the chance of oxidation, infection, etc from moving between vessels.

However, the consensus does seem to be that lagers should still be moved to secondary after a D-Rest, to get them off the trub during the lagering period.

So here's my dilemma: I have 4.9 gallons of a marzen going into a D-Rest today, and I will need to do something with it this weekend; as I see it, my options are:

1) Leave it in the primary, lager "as is" (no problems temperature wise, will be lagering at around 1c)

2) Rack to a 5 gallon carboy before lagering; the issue being that I will have some open headspace (the 4.9g will likely be more like 4.5-4.6g with trub losses) and I have no CO2 to purge headspace with (no kegging kit until March at the earliest)

So, faithful friends, what are your opinions? Which option would you pursue in my place?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
bruno_78
Recipes 

Rack it. When done properly, transferring to secondary proposes no risk of oxidation or infection.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Yea, I've racked to a secondary without ever worrying about the headspace. Gases will still be coming off and displacing whatever oxygen there is. Just make sure your secondary is sanitized.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts

Rack it.

Once you have your kegging supplies, (assuming you are planning on multiple kegs, and if you aren't you should) then simply rack to a keg after the d-rest and lager in that. You'll get a bit more yeast in your glass at the very beginning when you tap it, but that is a very minor drawback. Most of my ales are in the keg within 10 days, and 3 weeks tops for lagers.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

leave it in the primary.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Rack it. Enough CO2 will come out of solution to fill the headspace and since it happens as you rack, there will always be a layer of CO2 on top of the beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Rack it. Enough CO2 will come out of solution to fill the headspace and since it happens as you rack, there will always be a layer of CO2 on top of the beer.
David, that's a great point -- it never occurred to me that CO2 in solution will fill the headspace. Now I feel better about moving to a secondary.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Quick Reply