Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First Lager, can the wort wait a week before I pitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
PistonHonda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Lager, can the wort wait a week before I pitch?

I brewed two days ago, pitched a Wyeast pack of Budvar 2000 at 70 degrees, and then put the primary in the refrigerator and cooled it down to 50 degrees.

No activity yesterday so I started reading and realized how much more involved it is to get lager yeast going. I went back to the home brew store and picked up another pack of budvar 2000 lager yeast. I made a starter this time but made another mistake by cooling it down at the first sign of activity. I have to leave town this afternoon for 3days and I wanted to pitch before I left.

Should I pitch this starter anyway and try again when I get back if it doesn't work? If I make the starter correctly next time, it will be about a week from now before I pitch. If the wort remains at 50 degrees with an airlock that whole time, do I have anything to worry about?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
mrbugawkagawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you need to get your wort down to at least 60, and pitch right away. and yes use a starter. you may get an infection if you wait to long. I would throw it down the drain, i feel it would be a waste of yeast.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I think your wort and starter would be perfectly fine assuming you followed proper sanitation procedures.

BUT, I'd be worried about your first pack of yeast in your wort overly stressed and causing off flavors. That'd make me want to pitch your starter today. Depends on if you think your first pitch is just slow/delayed due to no starter, or if it's pooped completely.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2128 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Just add what yeast you have on hand. You've done what you could do this time. You may want to pitch more next time to start with. And there is differing opinion on whether you should pitch warm and cool, or cool both yeast and wort to fermentation temp, then pitch.

I think the first method is more likely going to require a D-rest later. I haven't had a chance to brew lager yet, but I'll be trying this out soon.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
PistonHonda
Recipes 

Still no activity. I'm going to get a different lager yeast today, make a starter, and pitch again in a few days.
Should I try to aerate again when I pitch or is the contamination risk too great?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What is this "activity" you keep referring to????? I'm really curious what you're definition is......

Lagers can be even slower than the 72 hour lagtime that we sometimes see with ales yeast. AND you may never see a single bubble either or it may have a slow rate, so please don't ever go by airlock bubbling.....For Lagers OR ales....airlocks are vents, not fermentation gauges...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
PistonHonda
Recipes 

By activity Im talking about airlock bubbles or a krausen layer forming. Thanks for the encouraging info.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Have you taken a gravity reading yet?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
PistonHonda
Recipes 

I didn't take an original reading last week but I did take a gravity reading today. I will check again in two days.

Quick Reply