Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > First BIAB not getting off to a great start.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Schlomo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post

Next time, I will deduct a gallon from whatever the calculators say about the volume needed to mash 14 lbs of grain. What a pain in the arse to clean that up. I'd rather add sparge water than clean mash from the floor.

As for efficiency: I had figured the recipe for an efficency of 70% but hit much closer to 80. This is in-line with what the shopowner said to expect so I was pleasantly surprised.
Did you mill your own grain, and if not where did you buy your grain from? I'm sitting at 68% efficiency for this batch (And i've had alot worse in the past) but im curious on what you did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 493 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Next time, I will deduct a gallon from whatever the calculators say about the volume needed to mash 14 lbs of grain. What a pain in the arse to clean that up. I'd rather add sparge water than clean mash from the floor.

I liked not mucking about with the cooler and next time I'm going to find a grill grate to lay across the kettle. That should handily solve the problem.
Yes lessen learned, alway mash BIAB conservatively within your kettle limitations, say a 1/2 to 1 gallon low, then you can add hot or boiling water back in to reach the kettle limits at mashout time...

Yes, a grill grate, collander or even a mash paddle placed across the kettle rim makes it easier to take the weight of the bag while draining. Or just drop the bag in your cooler and collect those runnings later on...good luck on honing your process...other than the issues you descibed, the bag work OK for ya?

Simple strap to a hook in the cieling makes easy work even w/ huge grain bils...
http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html

Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, here's how I make sure I can brew something:

A.) Use this calculator, set the absorption rate to .08, and make sure that "Total Water Needed" and "Mash Water Needed" are equal. You'll need to figure out your boil-off rate. Usually takes a couple brews.

B. Use the "Can I Mash It" calculator from this page filling in the appropriate values.

Example: Using the mash water calculator from A, 5 gallons, 10 lbs of grain, .08 absorption, and 10% boiloff rate, adjust the mash thickness value to 3.267%, leaving both Mash Water Needed and Total Water needed equal to 8.17 gallons of water.

Then, in the "Can I Brew It" calculator from B, enter 10 lbs grain, 3.267 for mash thickness, giving you the result "This mash will take up 8.97 gallons of space."

Edit: The absorption rate assumes you're squeezing your grains after the mash.

On-Deck: Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Avery Hog Heaven clone

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Final thoughts for the night. HOLY CRAP what is all that sediment in the carboy and will it ever go away?!?!?!?

It was soley by chance that after it was in the fermentor it had cooled to exactly fermentation temp. So I pitched 2 rehydrated packs of US-05 and 2 hours later stuff is happening.

& To eulipion2 - Thanks for the effort. Those are the calculators I used and have been using for a while now. I figured from the Rackers site that 14 pounds of grain takes up 9.6 gallons of volume for 8.5 gallons of mash water. That figure was supposed to give me a bit of wiggle room, but it wasn't enough. Oh well, live and learn. I then went to Brew 365 to figure my strike temp for the 8.5 gallons. Brew 365 was spot on. I'll leave more room for error next time.

Seriously... What is with the sediment pile in the fermentor? I feel like I should have made 8 gallons at full strength and then pulled 5.5 clear gallons from the pot. WOW what a mess. We shall see I guess.

The bag held up fine. No tangible, chunky material got through and it stayed put. I like it! You should make these for coolers too.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry my usually calculator combo didn't work for you.

I tend to get a lot of sediment because I no-chill, so the break material coagulates as the wort chills in my cube. Otherwise, I would guess that maybe there's more protein in the kettle that doesn't get filtered out by the grain bed, and maybe that protein didn't coagulate and get left behind in the kettle, but for some reason came out after you racked to primary.

On-Deck: Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Avery Hog Heaven clone

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #16
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlomo View Post
Did you mill your own grain, and if not where did you buy your grain from? I'm sitting at 68% efficiency for this batch (And i've had alot worse in the past) but im curious on what you did.
As i noted before, I'm moving to BIAB after many normal batch sparge brews. So I visited my local home brew shop - Love2brew.com in New Brunswick NJ. They have been BIAB brewing on premises and know the process. They 'double crushed' the grains by running them through the mill twice. Ron W. one of the owners, said he's been getting 80% efficiency for 'regular' sized beers using a 70 min mash and 20 min mash out. they are great guys and will double crush and mail you your grain bill if you call them or use their website. love2brew.com

I think I need to look into a bigger kettle. 10gallons is somewhat marginal for big IPA via BIAB.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #17
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm a big fan of the no chill process. I did a lot of brews that way and finally a copper immersion chiller fell into my hands. So now I chill. I can't say one is better than the other. I always did like how no-chill allows you to get the cleanest looking wort into a fermenter because it has had proper time to settle the hops, protiens, and sediment.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 493 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Final thoughts for the night. HOLY CRAP what is all that sediment in the carboy and will it ever go away?!?!?!?
Yes agreed, BIAB does produce a much cloudier wort to the fermenter, but 4 weeks from now in the glass you will be pleased and not know the difference, all that protein will settle out w/ time.

Quote:
The bag held up fine. No tangible, chunky material got through and it stayed put. I like it! You should make these for coolers too.
Great, good news...I can do bags for coolers no problem...cheers!

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykees

How do you ignore the westy 12! Good for you sir. How was it?

How do you ignore the westy 12! Good for you sir. How was it?[/QUOTE]

Honestly. Overrated. Not worth the hype.

And for what its worth, my biab bag in my picture was purchased from wilser brewer.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #20
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you didn't give yourself enough space for a mash-out infusion, you can always decoct by pulling out some wort, boiling it, and throwing it back in. You might even get a little extra malt complexity!

Quick Reply