Finally located some Malta Goya.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I've been curious about, and wanting to experiment with, using Malta Goya in yeast starters, in place of mixing my own with malt extract. I spent an hour today driving to the "Hispanic Grocery" in the area, Avanza Supermarket - Hispanic Grocery Products No dice. Plenty of Goya products, but no Malta drink.

On the way home, I decided to stop by Whole Paycheck aka Whole Foods, and there it was, on the shelf. $0.88 a bottle, or $6 for the six-pack. A tad pricey compared to others, but what the heck.

I'll report back later on how it goes.

FYI, Denver People, I found it at the Belmar Whole Foods, just off Wadsworth and Alameda.

If you pitch the whole starter you won't want to use malta goya when making a light beer. It is a bit dark to put into one of those. I'm sure you could decant and just pitch yeast and not affect color much. I have not tried that though.

Yeah, it's a tad dark. I prefer to crash and decant starters anyhow, since I stirplate, and the starter wort is heavily oxidized.

For the effort, I may just start adding an extra gallon of volume to my lighter-colored beers, to pull off and freeze for starters. I'm just tired of mucking about with expensive DME for starters.

Yeah, it's a tad dark. I prefer to crash and decant starters anyhow, since I stirplate, and the starter wort is heavily oxidized.

For the effort, I may just start adding an extra gallon of volume to my lighter-colored beers, to pull off and freeze for starters. I'm just tired of mucking about with expensive DME for starters.

That's what I do. I'll actually chase the wort out of my pump and chiller with some leftover water from the HLT. I usually get half a gallon, if there are a lot of hops I'll squeeze those to extract more wort. I re-boil before using it as a starter.

I've been using it diluted 1:1 with water, and decanting it off the yeast. Even in light colored beers it has been working great.

Revvy just pointed this out in another thread... I had never made the connection.

This stuff is in every grocery here. I bought some last summer, as I was curious. I drank it and thought to myself "self, this tastes like unfermented beer." Never processed that any further. Must have been my three month old child consuming brain!

I will have to try it... fits my laziness. Though I think I am going to go no chill and do starters with drained wort once I get a ball valve in my kettle.

Revvy just pointed this out in another thread... I had never made the connection.

This stuff is in every grocery here. I bought some last summer, as I was curious. I drank it and thought to myself "self, this tastes like unfermented beer." Never processed that any further. Must have been my three month old child consuming brain!

I will have to try it... fits my laziness. Though I think I am going to go no chill and do starters with drained wort once I get a ball valve in my kettle.

*slaps mike across the head* you mean you have actually tasted this stuff and not made the connection....*sheesh*

You should have at least done the...."you know you are a homebrewer when" you say "hmmm I could ferment this."

icon_OO.gif

Glad you figured it out.......:mug:

If you all haven;t looked, heres one of the other discussions, which might give you some tips for using it...it talks about the staring gravity of it and how to handle the carbonation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/just-made-starter-goya-malta-85681/?highlight=malta+goya

like I said... 3 month old... At least I stocked up on some brew before hand... got me through the thins.

Back on track now though.

Thanks for the links. I will have to check it out... it is often clearanced here, since we are north of the primary hispanic market, but the stores still stock it.

I am out. nuff brew thought for tonight!

Back