Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Filtering? Why no love round here...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I filter some of my beers. I keg and cold crash with gelatin and lager, but I'm here to tell you this: filtering makes a beer brilliantly clear.

I don't mess with it much because of the extra step, and I like my beers fine, but all my lagers get filtered. It's really remarkable how clear they are after filtering.

I'm kegging Octoberfests tonight. I'm going to filter just one of the kegs, and then see the difference. I'll try to take some pics and post them later. I'll give them a few weeks in cold storage and we'll see the differences. Yes, I know that lagers are meant to be stored, but filtering is a great way to skip the "lagering".
Excellent thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Here's a question about one of our own products haha: Has anyone tried using Clarity Ferm?

http://morebeer.com/products/clarity...gle-serve.html

I haven't tried it yet, but one of my co-workers said it worked really well when used in combination with whirlfloc. Any feedback from the forums would be great though!
I'm going to give some a shot in a Dunkel next week.....

Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Never felt the need. Don't want to invest in the equipment for the small improvement. Most of my beers are clear at 3 weeks in primary using Irish Moss. I don't really care if my beers are clear if they taste good. I haven't heard that filtering will improve the taste.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

This is an Imperial Nut Brown Ale. Two weeks in the primary after it reached FG and it is as clear as glass. There is distortion in the picture but you can read a book through it.

bosco

pict0021.jpg  

Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

For beers I want to be crystal clear I use worflock/irish moss in the boil, cold crash (in the primary) after about 3 weeks of fermenting and cleaning up, and then gelatin when kegged. The first 1/2 pint is cloudy after that it is very clear. My reason for not filtering is I like to have my beer contact as few surfaces as possible.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
JJFlash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been using the Buon Vino Super Jet Wine Filter ($$) for the past few years on my lightest beers - Belgian Golden Strong and Belgian Tripel. I have also experimented running darker beers up to my Imperial Stout. Here is my thoughts:
1) Pro Brewers use filtering to quickly clear a beer and "rush" the beer to tap.
2) As homebrewers we are not financially concerned about how quickly we get out our beer to tap. I have kegs/barrels that may sit a year+ before they go to tap.
3) Cold temperatures and time work miracles on clearing beer.
4) All the clearing adjuncts seem to work to clear beer - some better than others. I currently use BioFine Clear with good results.
5) Even with these new clearing agents, there is always a layer of "gunk" at the bottom on my kegs. The first 2-3 pints off the keg have very obvious "gunk" flavor to me - don't like it. Clears with the next few pints.
6) On my lightest beers with filtering they are uniform and perfect from first to last pint. Filtering seems to make the beer much more flavor homogenous from start to finish. Especially if you are not rapidly consuming the beer! There remains in these kegs a very thin layer of "gunk" still. However, it is paint thin and does not seem to be an issue. This is with the medium filter - I have tried the fine filter and these clog much more quickly. Fine also produces improved clarity over medium.
7) I can detect no negative attributes to filtering on my beers. Flavor and aroma are well preserved. However, I only make "in your face" Belgian Style beers, nothing subtle brewed here
8) On the Buon the pump does not need to be primed (unlike regular March pumps). So it sucks the beer out of the secondary, thru the pump, and into the keg. I do all transfers under a blanket of CO2. Takes little extra time. I am pleased with the results.
9) Bottom line: As with most additions to my brewery, adds little extra time and makes my beer just a little bit better, to my palate.
The things we do in search of beer perfection.

-JJ-

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good post, thanks

Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #28
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Bugger View Post
I'm going to try Biofine CL this weekend. A lot of pro brewers are using it instead of filtering. It's supposed to drop the beer clear in a 48 hour cold crash. I'm trying it on a low flocculating strain. I'd have to crash it for a month to clear it without finings.

Vegan product.
I've used it. It works as advertised. A couple of things to keep in mind. First, the lighter the beer, generally the more you need to use (up to 2 Tbsp). Second, if you are kegging, you will need to discard the first pint or 2 because it creates a lot of heavy sediment.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #29
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I filter some of my beers. I keg and cold crash with gelatin and lager, but I'm here to tell you this: filtering makes a beer brilliantly clear.

I don't mess with it much because of the extra step, and I like my beers fine, but all my lagers get filtered. It's really remarkable how clear they are after filtering.

I'm kegging Octoberfests tonight. I'm going to filter just one of the kegs, and then see the difference. I'll try to take some pics and post them later. I'll give them a few weeks in cold storage and we'll see the differences. Yes, I know that lagers are meant to be stored, but filtering is a great way to skip the "lagering".
What size filter are you using on your lagers? I've been making more lagers lately and I've been thinking about filtering for the same reason.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #30
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3686 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3190

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
What size filter are you using on your lagers? I've been making more lagers lately and I've been thinking about filtering for the same reason.
Not sure. It's the standard homebrewer's plate filter. It's about 9" round. It can leak somewhat, especially with pressure over 10psi. Does a good job though.

Quick Reply