Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Filtering Beer that is already carbonated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
RedDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Filtering Beer that is already carbonated

Need advice. I have a cream ale that is a little hazy...I have already kegged and carbed it. I just got my filtering system. Can I still run it through the filter into another kegs with "damage" to the beer?
Thanks for your input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've filtered with carbonated beer... its kind of tough because the filter is going to pull the carbonation out (because of nucleation sites, etc), so you're going to have a lot of foam, and may need to "burp" the filter every once in a while.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Just drink it hazy, and filter your next batch.

The haze is probably chill haze, it doesn't effect the taste.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
ItalianGuy78
Recipes 

You really don't want to filter AFTER carbonation has taken effect. Any form of filtering or aeration could flatten the beer and/or lead to infection, and you don't want that in the bottle.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Brad1775
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you are good to go: While your hazey keg is hooked up to CO2, turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi. Prep an empty keg to receive your beer, purge with CO2, and then, seal the lid with 35 PSI. Then hook your "OUT" from your donor keg to the "IN" of the filter, and then the output of the filter to the "OUT" of the empty presurized receiving keg. This requries 2 OUT jacks hooked to the filter unit.

Now, you just need to start releasing pressure from the receiving keg slowly and let the pressure difference do it's work. The donor keg will push carbonated beer through the filter, and if you have enough pressure behind the beer, you won't need to run the filter's pummp at all. It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.

Over Inflated Rubber Thingy 1/20/11, Fiddle Barn Stout medium american oaked bourbon, 7/20/11, Pumpkin porter 12/17/11, KIPA: Oaked IIPA, ~1/2/2011 (started ~10/2/11), 1/27/12 6% abv sort of Hoegarden clone,

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianGuy78
You really don't want to filter AFTER carbonation has taken effect. Any form of filtering or aeration could flatten the beer and/or lead to infection, and you don't want that in the bottle.
It will cause the beer to un-carbonate, but I'm not sure I follow the infection part.

As long as everything is sanitary you should be fine. There is already alcohol present in the beer which will help to keep nasties at bay.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1775
you are good to go: While your hazey keg is hooked up to CO2, turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi. Prep an empty keg to receive your beer, purge with CO2, and then, seal the lid with 35 PSI. Then hook your "OUT" from your donor keg to the "IN" of the filter, and then the output of the filter to the "OUT" of the empty presurized receiving keg. This requries 2 OUT jacks hooked to the filter unit.

Now, you just need to start releasing pressure from the receiving keg slowly and let the pressure difference do it's work. The donor keg will push carbonated beer through the filter, and if you have enough pressure behind the beer, you won't need to run the filter's pummp at all. It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.
I like the sound of this. It will be going so slow and under pressure. There wouldn't be a concern of pressure building up too much in a plastic plate filter that would cause leaks or anything, right?

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
It will cause the beer to un-carbonate,
Not really, if you use the counter pressure method described by Brad1775.
I do it all the time with my modified plate filters at 15 psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillarcandy
There wouldn't be a concern of pressure building up too much in a plastic plate filter that would cause leaks or anything, right?
The plastic plate filters from the home brew shops will leak above 7 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1775
turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi.
It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.
Why does your filtering process take 2 hours at 35 psi and what type filter do you use?
I do 10 gallons in 40 min @ 15psi.

Modified plate filters

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
jordanpace Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
j33p4x4
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't worked with filters, but I use gelatin to clear my beers with amazing results. I do it the way BierMuncher does it here,With your beer already keg'd and carb'd just remove your gas QCD, release the pressure on the keg, add the gelatin and you're set. I normally see a difference after about 24 hours and it looks crystal clear after three days. I've heard that you can get 'beer jello' at the bottom of your keg, but I've always been drinking on the beer as the gelatin is working so it doesn't set in the bottom of the keg like it may if you add the gelatin and not pull some of the sediment from the bottom daily.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
j33p4x4
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha, I just realized that we're all responding to a two-year-old post! RedDragon, if you're still around, I hope that your results were great and that you ended up with awesome beer!

Quick Reply