Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > filtering beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
seckert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
Some breweries let the wort ferment until it reaches a specified gravity, then close off the fermentor to allow the yeast to carbonate the beer in the fermenter. When the beer is nearly fully carbonated they then bottle, and the remaining carbonation is conditioned in the bottle. Since the majority of the yeast and sediment has fallen into the fermenter, there is almost nothing left to create dregs in the bottle. Some may say that this really isn't bottle conditioning, but it's not a complete falsehood.
Yes but i definately dont have the fermentor to do that! lol I would end up with a mess everywhere trying to do this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my ciders are sediment-free due to racking several times over several months- you could do it with beer I guess if you are careful and do not introduce to much O2... it doesn't seem to bother cider- maybe because of the higher alcohol content?

I don't think it is worth the risk- part of the homebrew process is pouring your creation into a sturdy pint glass, gazing into it, sticking your nose in the froth and quaffing if- the smoothness is enhanced by the glass... I can't imagine sucking down a homebrew straight from the bottle as if it is a bottle of Corona or something equally vile...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
seckert
Recipes 

I agree that homebrew is def best served in a glass, however for taking it to a get together it sure would be nice to bring a 6 pack that i dont have to get a glass to drink it. Thats why i think im going to get just a small order of those sediment remover caps that were on this thread. they seem to work well enough.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you keg, you could force carbonate and fill from the keg. Buying a beer gun or counter-pressure filler is probably cheaper/easier than using those sed ex caps.

I'd rather be able to bottle on demand since I loath bottling. I don't have a beer gun, so for now I just bring growlers with me when I go places. Nobody has complained yet... but if they did I'd go get them a PBR. That would teach them.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand
If you keg, you could force carbonate and fill from the keg. Buying a beer gun or counter-pressure filler is probably cheaper/easier than using those sed ex caps.

I'd rather be able to bottle on demand since I loath bottling. I don't have a beer gun, so for now I just bring growlers with me when I go places. Nobody has complained yet... but if they did I'd go get them a PBR. That would teach them.
Look into the biermuncher bottle filler that's how I bottle from keg no fuss involved bottles stay carbed as well as any other beer.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
seckert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand View Post

Yes as soon as i start kegging that will fix my problem. I just got a bunch of new stuff so i have to save up again...lol i have the chest freezer and my temp controler now. using as fermentation chamber until i have money to get my keg set-up going.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 132

You actually can filter an bottle condition....IIRC anything above a 5 micron filter WILL let yeast thru. I filter upon occasion, and I have filtered using a 10mic filter and although force carbing have gotten Unmistakeable yeast sediment in my bottles, after bringing them up to room temp. Only polishing filters ( 1micron or less) filter remove all the yeast.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
poquette
Recipes 

I have used a filter that will do what you want for second stage and bottling. It is sold by gerrysbrewingproducts.com

Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
seckert
Recipes 

I am going to check out that site and see if that filter works for me. I think that if it doesn't I am just going to wait and get my keg setup all going then just bottle as I need to take somewhere. seems like it will end up being easier.

Quick Reply