Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > A few questions on green beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A few questions on green beer

I just brewed a nut brown ale with pumpkin added. After a week in primary I moved it to secondary and gave it a taste. It was good but a bit bitter (not a hoppy bitterness though). I am hoping that the bitterness if because the beer is green. Am I correct in assuming that?

Secondly if it is green, do beers age/become un-green once co2 carbonated in a keg? I was thinking about moving to keg after only a week in the secondary, and hoping any greenness left would just dissipate while in the keg. If that isn’t the case I will have to secondary longer . But I just want to drink its delicious pumkiness!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The bitterness may be due to the beer being green but it is difficult to say without know the specifics of your recipe.

As for aging, yes carbonation affects the flavor, but even with carbonation, a green beer is a green beer and I doubt kegging it early will speed the conditioning. Leave it 2 weeks in secondary, then keg and carb, after another few weeks in the keg it should be good to go (patience really is the hardest part).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, patience is the key. You'll get some bitterness and strange flavors going on which will mask malt sweetness in green beer as well. Hang in there!

In the meanwhile, there are a bunch more of us in good ole SC. If you ever need anything you can always ping on us .

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I don't know what other bitterness you are tasting, although it could be roasted grain bitterness. Still, nearly all bitter character starts off harsh in a green beer and smooths out in a well conditioned one.

Kegging does not speed conditioning, although I also dont see that it slows it all that much (if at all).

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bottled a pumpkin ale a few days ago. When I moved it to the secondary fermenter it had a really nasty, bitter after taste. When I bottled it after 3 weeks it was much mellower and had hardly any bitterness. I think it’s just young. Maybe something to do with the pumpkin? Just give it some time and see what happens.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Well, the flavor of green beer (acetaldehyde) is often described as "freshly cut pumpkin".

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also a green beer may taste very alcoholic if it has a large amount of alcohol in it. Like my honey wheat that came to 8.5% abv, tasted like there's some vodka in there at bottling. 3-4 weeks, it'll be great.

Quick Reply