The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermenting a Saison: The Brasserie Dupont Way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
EinGutesBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting a Saison: The Brasserie Dupont Way

Here's what Wikipedia says on Brasserie Dupont's method of brewing their saison:

Primary fermentation lasts about 5 days, followed by a 1-2 week secondary fermentation. After this, the beer is packaged and warm-aged at the brewery for 6-8 weeks at 73°F(23°C). All of Dupont's beers are naturally carbonated via bottle conditioning.

By filling in the blanks primary fermentation should be in the 80s or even low 90s for fermentation temperature. However, I've read differing opinions on how to ferment the saison, most opposing opinions saying that you should either do a long, cool fermentation (months long) or do a moderately warm fermentation for a shorter period of time (little over a month). For authenticity's sake, I'm considering doing this the way Dupont does it. Does anyone know which method is closer to the real deal, or more importantly, which method will have a greater chance of yielding better results? The debate rages on. Better have a homebrew...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Same exact topic being discussed here: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62843

Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They definitely ferment warm/hot. Farmhouse Ales by Jeff Sparrow discusses it.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Same exact topic being discussed here: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62843
Right. I did check that one. My question isn't about temperature so much as about length of time. It seems like the Wikipedia article is different than what most homebrewers are saying...I'm trying to choose between the two. And it's not easy so far. : /
Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
They definitely ferment warm/hot. Farmhouse Ales by Jeff Sparrow discusses it.
Yeah, I definitely need to buy that book. Then I'll have the series. Already have BLAM and Wild Brews.

Quick Reply