Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermenting an IPA..How long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
IBEWJamie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Fermenting an IPA..How long?

I just brewed an IPA and I wanted to see what your thoughts were on how long the beer should sit in the carboy. Most of the time I let it ferment for 5 to 7 days and then rack it to a secondary and leave it sit for another 3 weeks and dry hopping it a few days before I keg it. Does it need to sit this long? I don't remember where I herd or read this but that's how I've done it for the last 2 years. Thanks for reading!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

While fermentation should be done in 5-7 days I feel it is necessary to let it sit for 4 weeks. There's some clean up going on that seems to make a difference for me.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

T29 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Some people here do not use secondary, some do. If you were to, I would leave it in primary for 14 days, check for FG. then rack to secondary for a 5 to 7 day dry hop. Then keg. I typically use 2 oz. per 5 gallons for my IPA dry hops. Great aroma.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 593

An IPA is best to enjoy fresh. If you pitch the right amount of healthy yeast and control the fermentation temperature, you won't need to give the yeast more than a day or two for "clean up" after fermentation is complete. Then dry hop and keg. If you do a 3 day dry hop in the primary, you could have the beer kegged in 2 weeks. If you dry hop in the keg, even sooner. Again though, that means controlling your fermentation to limit the production of off flavors.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

masonsjax Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
schmitt777
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2
Some people here do not use secondary, some do. If you were to, I would leave it in primary for 14 days, check for FG. then rack to secondary for a 5 to 7 day dry hop. Then keg. I typically use 2 oz. per 5 gallons for my IPA dry hops. Great aroma.
Any tricks or suggestions on how to get the most beer out of your secondary and leave behind the hops, last time I dry hopped I left behind tool much beer using just my auto siphon :-(

Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I use a small piece of sanitized paint strainer bag and rubberband over the end. Works well. Dont loose anything. Takes a little longer to transfer though.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydster
An IPA is best to enjoy fresh. If you pitch the right amount of healthy yeast and control the fermentation temperature, you won't need to give the yeast more than a day or two for "clean up" after fermentation is complete. Then dry hop and keg. If you do a 3 day dry hop in the primary, you could have the beer kegged in 2 weeks. If you dry hop in the keg, even sooner. Again though, that means controlling your fermentation to limit the production of off flavors.
+1

If you ferment properly (proper temp control, proper pitch rate, good yeast health, nutrient, pure O2) then there is no need to keep an IPA in the primary for more than two weeks. FG should be hit in about week and your yeast will be able reabsorb their byproducts in a matter of days since they will be plentiful and healthy.

If your fermentations aren't as controlled then a few weeks may be warranted to get the yeast to finish fermenting and clean up, as others have stated.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
hautlle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2 View Post
I use a small piece of sanitized paint strainer bag and rubberband over the end. Works well. Dont loose anything. Takes a little longer to transfer though.
This works, you could also just put the hops in a sanitized muslin bag to contain them in the FV.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
nckmsn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEWJamie View Post
I just brewed an IPA and I wanted to see what your thoughts were on how long the beer should sit in the carboy. Most of the time I let it ferment for 5 to 7 days and then rack it to a secondary and leave it sit for another 3 weeks and dry hopping it a few days before I keg it. Does it need to sit this long? I don't remember where I herd or read this but that's how I've done it for the last 2 years. Thanks for reading!!!!!

Last ipa I did was in the primary for about 7 days, then secondary for 10 days while dry hopping the last 4 days, then in the keg carbonating and clarifying with gelatin for about 5 days. The abv was about 6%. If I'm doing a higher gravity ipa I will leave it in secondary for a couple more days.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

All my beers I do not see a need for a second vessel. Pitch and ferment in one vessel when fermentation is done its done. I dry hop in the primary when fermentation is 70-80% done leave for a week and keg.
This is the Tasty McDole method and I like it a lot.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Quick Reply