Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > fermenter transport - bad idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
BarnabyHooge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fermenter transport - bad idea?

For reasons I won't get into, I may need to take my batch of dark lager on a 2 hour car ride. Is it sure to be ruined? I was thinking that with all the co2 left in the fermenter, oxidation really shouldn't be too much of an issue. On the other hand, maybe the sloshing will cause a problem.

If I were to sanitize some plastic wrap and really seal the top (it's done fermenting) so the co2 doesn't get kicked out with movement, would that help?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not a problem, just let it settle for a few days before racking, and don't drive like a maniac.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

the sloshing wont bother anything. just let it sit once you get to where you are going.

i would be more worried about the increase in temperature and light exposure during the 2 hours. lagers really should be kept around 50F during fermentation and ramped up to 60 during the last third or so of fermentation. large temperature fluctuations will stress the yeast and can cause off flavors.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

The fermenter is already covered with a black t-shirt and is dark itself so skunking won't be an issue. As for temp goes, it'll take more than a couple hours to get 5 gallons to any dangerous temp, but good thought.

Thanks!

Quick Reply