Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation Theory: Oxygenate the starter, not the wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Right Piotr, I have pitched dry yeast in aerated wort and unaerated wort and had a slightly longer lag time with the unaerated to the tune of about 8 more hours. Results were based on my observations of when the airlock started ticking away. My fermenters are airtight.

My last batch of APA I did not aerate (on purpose) and I noted that when I woke up in the morning that the airlock still had no movement - no CO2. I thought it was odd since normally they are going strong within 12 hours of pitching, so I went off to work, and when I came home it was already ticking away.

Nice research by the way. I thoroughly enjoy topics like this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
vtbasementbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was asking myself the same question and ran into this old thread.
http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/yeast-propagation-and-maintenance-principles-and-practices
talks a lot about yeast propagation. Even with a small amount of yeast, it appears that you could get about half the needed population in a 1 L starter with a stir plate. Wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply