Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation temp Q

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Capa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Fermentation temp Q

I have a stout in it's second week in the primary (I decided to go without the secondary after reading a bunch about the +/- on HBT to see if I find much of a difference) and it has been around 73 degrees since I pitched the yeast. I was planning on kegging it in another two weeks but unfortunately will be out of town at the time. I'll be gone for nearly a month and I can't leave my AC on due to the super high energy costs in Japan but August is a scorcher out here and I assume my house is going to be in the high 70s to 80s for much of the time. The only option I have is to put the carboy in my fridge while I'm away but I'm curious what affects that will have on the beer. My noob assumption is that it will just slow the maturation down but really not affect it much besides that. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If it's not finished I would rack to secondary and place in the fridge at the highest temp. My guess is that it's just about done as is...

Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
If it's not finished I would rack to secondary and place in the fridge at the highest temp. My guess is that it's just about done as is...
If it's not finished, then racking to secondary would be a bad idea.

OP: you should take some gravity readings and see if it's really done before racking.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply