LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fermentation temp

I am getting ready to brew an ipa and want to ferment at 68f since the ferment will add about 5-7 degrees should I make the ambient temp around 62ish for the first 5 days ?? Any input on this is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I normally set my ferm chamber temps at 58, the little sticker thermometer on the side of the carboy normally reads around 62 (depending on it accuracy) during fermentation.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want to ferment at 68f , there is a 5-7f rise in heat due to fermentation. Should I set the chamber at 63f to compensate for the average rise of 5f ?
and onlly do this for the first 5 days or so or leave it that temp for the whold 2 weeks?

thanks -

M

Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Why are u so stuck on fermenting at 68. I personally like to keep my ales closer to the mid 60's. I tape my temp controller probe to the side of my bucket and set the temp to 62-63. Clean beer is the result. Are u wanting a few fruity esters? Just curious.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

What beer style? Start in the mid 60's. Once we know the style you're brewing we can recommend a good finishing temp.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed IPA....start it in the mid 60's and bring it up to 68 (fermentation temp) by the last 1/3 of fermentation.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
I want to ferment at 68f , there is a 5-7f rise in heat due to fermentation. Should I set the chamber at 63f to compensate for the average rise of 5f ?
and onlly do this for the first 5 days or so or leave it that temp for the whold 2 weeks?

thanks -

M
Sounds like a good plan to me. What I like to do is keep it at ambient temp of 63 for the first five days and then let it get to room temp..... 68 for the last 9 days

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess my biggest thing is compensating for the rise in temp from fermenting. So I guess I will set it at 62 then if it goes up 5 degrees or so I will still be at 67 68ish. Thanks for the input. I have a cheat freezer with a Johnson a419 by putting the probe on the side of the bucket will that be pretty close to the liquid temp inside the bucket?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
mufflerbearing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am brewing an amber ale and the temp sticker now says 70. How accurate are the stickers?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
moviebrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take a chunk of styrofoam and sandwich the temp probe between the carboy/bucket and the foam, taping it down. Change the offset value from 6 degrees to 2 degrees and you will help smooth out the fermentation temp jumps.

It's not as good as a thermowell but better than measuring ambient.

Just remember that if you finish and go back to ambient to increase the offset to 6 degrees again.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
lindenboy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You'll be fine doing this. We usually tape a folded up section of paper towel against the probe, against the bucket. You may notice a degree, maybe two, difference, IF you were able to measure the liquid, but NO WAY you'd have 5 - 7 degrees. I don't even get that measuring ambient, depending on the space! I agree with fermenting low (62 - 63) and ramping up. It will dry out the beer and AVOID fruity esters, which are not typical to IPAs unless that's your thing.

Jason
Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply
Indianapolis, IN
http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com/
jason-at-tuxedoparkbrewers.com

Quick Reply