The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation/lagering in the same chest freezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Professor Frink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default Fermentation/lagering in the same chest freezer?

I'm in the process of converting a chest freezer into a kegerator, which I want to use to also brew lagers. Because of space issues, I don't have room for separate fermentation and lagering vessels. I was thinking if I could set my chest freezer for about 50 degrees for the fermentation, transfer to a carboy after the diacatyl rest, then drop the temp down to 40 degrees for the lagering phase of the beer. It would mean changing the serving temp of my beer, but I'd really like to make lagers and am willing to deal with it. Any suggestions?

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
rtp-brew
Recipes 

That's what I do. Depending on what kind of lager you're brewing and the yeast strain, you can probably ferment with the freezer set down around 43-45. Then just drop it down over a couple of days to lagering temp and transfer to your lagering vessel (or transfer first and then chill, whichever you prefer). Fermenting/lagering closer to the bottom of the range will make the whole proccess take longer of course, but it might be an okay trade-off to keep your serving kegs a little cooler.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp-brew
That's what I do. Depending on what kind of lager you're brewing and the yeast strain, you can probably ferment with the freezer set down around 43-45. Then just drop it down over a couple of days to lagering temp and transfer to your lagering vessel (or transfer first and then chill, whichever you prefer). Fermenting/lagering closer to the bottom of the range will make the whole proccess take longer of course, but it might be an okay trade-off to keep your serving kegs a little cooler.
That's what I think I'll do. I have a 7.0 cu ft chest freezer, so I can fit 3 cornies and a carboy or 4 carboys, so I figure I'll find a lager strain where I can ferment around 50, transfer to a corny, and lager about 40.
Milk Stout

Lagering:

Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is what I am doing at the moment. Also, there is no reason you can't lager at 50, might take longer for it to drop clear but...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
This is what I am doing at the moment. Also, there is no reason you can't lager at 50, might take longer for it to drop clear but...
Thanks Beerific, that's also what I was wondering. From what I've read about lagering is that the temperature is flexible, but the time period might change.
Milk Stout

Lagering:

Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

why don't you keep your fridge at 45ish and just ferment, lager, and serve at that temp?

Quick Reply