Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation cooler vs refrigerator vs son of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

I have tried a couple methods and prefer the freezer. I got a 23CF off of craigs list for $30 and temp controller was $60(it was a couple years ago). It will hold 7 ale pails and a cornie. By mounting a small pc fan to the inside of the lid it keeps temps from swinging due to air stratification. By far the best $90 I've spent on brewing. It didn't require any more skill than turning a screwdriver and is 100% maintenance free, until you get a blow off. Yah you have to lift the bucket into and out of it, but if you can't its time to brew smaller batches or find a new hobby.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Last edited by beerthirty; 04-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sweet. 8 carboys in one refrigerator? must be a HUGE fridge. I didn't think about the side by side possibly being easier than the top freezer style refrigerator in terms of accessibility. could you use the freezer compartment for carboys or pails in a side by side? Would you turn the freezer all the way down and the fridge all the way up?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #13
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know about the best refrigerator setup for fermentation temp control? How about side-by-side vs top freezer? I'm getting a free top freezer that is in really good shape as soon as I can borrow a truck to pick it up. I have a very old side-by-side that I'm currently using as my garage fridge(mostly beer in the fridge and frozen foods in the freezer). I could use either for my fermentation chamber but don't know which would work better.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
woodenbuick
Recipes 

I have a side by side in the house and a bottom freezer in the garage. The side by side is a pita to deal with. Always too small for the amount of food it takes to feed us. When company comes, I have to give up my beer fridge for food. There would be no way I could fit multiple carboys in the side by side easily. In the garage I can fit 3 carboys and multiple bottles in the fridge.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check my sig line for how to effectively use as a fermentation chamber. I really think it is the best way to go, unless you have money to buy a new upright side chamber fridge.

Quick Reply