Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation for Berlinerweisse - Specifically 3191

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation for Berlinerweisse - Specifically 3191

Making my first Berlinerweisse. Actually my first sour. Lot's of questions.

Just got a smack-pack of Wyeast's 3191 Berliner-Weisse blend. Plan on doing JZ's Berlinerweisse recipe but with this smack pack. I know Wyeast says it takes 3 to 6 months to develop the full flavours but my question is is that in the primary? Do I secondary? How long?

Should I secondary in the keg? I presume any secondary would be warm (ale temps)?

Do you ever lager it? I wanted it as a summer beer but now we're talking summer 2013, should I lager it after 6 months to make it to comp season and summer 2013, or should I wait and brew in December?

Why do they put out a private collection strain for the "perfect summer beer" in July that won't be ready until December? Is this some antipodean conspiracy?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Primary: English Summer Ale;
Bottled Aging: English Barleywine' 14;
Kegged Aging: Oktoberfest;
Kegged Ready: Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen; Kolsch
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
spartycornfed
Recipes 

I did the exact same thing tonight. Jamil's recipe with the wyeast. Originally planned on getting a lacto to pitch a few days early and finish with US-O5 but the brewshop didn't have lacto. I figured this would be as good and brewed it up tonight. My plan is to throw it in the basement and forget about it in primary for a few months. If it is palatable at christmas then so be it!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can secondary or not, it's up to you. I've done sours with and without secondary. Generally, I think most people let the primary fermentation run it's course, then throw it in the secondary for however long (~3months for my Berliner Weisse's). Also, I typically ferment all sours at room temp. I really like that strain b/c it not only has lacto in it, but as opposed to white labs blend, it has a clean German Ale strain in it, not a wheat strain.

Good luck,
J

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Hummm I am doing one this weekend and I am using a Kolsch Yeast and Lacto bacteria.

• When cooling the wort pull off 2 or 5 gallons at anout 105 degrees, add Lacto and let it sit for a few days.
  • Do a "normal" fermentation with the other 6 or 9 gallons
  • When the fermentation starts to slow mix the two together...

This is something I picked up here on another thread.

I figure by next Spring I will have the Tartest Berliner Wiese around and then can if needed do a little blending...

Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To be honest, I've made quite a few of berliner weisse's and I've had good luck with this method.

Brew batch as normal, cool to ~90-100 degrees, and pitch your lacto
put on low heating pad for 1 day
@ end of first day take off of the heating pad
morning day 2 pitch ale yeast (wyeast 1007 is what I like) ferment as usual
When primary is over, rack to secondary and age for 3 months.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
To be honest, I've made quite a few of berliner weisse's and I've had good luck with this method....

When primary is over, rack to secondary and age for 3 months.
OK but when is it "done" in the primary? Will a pellicle form and then when it falls is that when it's ready?

By taste? What am I tasting for?

The secondary I take it is at ale temps?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Primary: English Summer Ale;
Bottled Aging: English Barleywine' 14;
Kegged Aging: Oktoberfest;
Kegged Ready: Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen; Kolsch
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Quick Reply