Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > A faster way to eliminate chill haze

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Duane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default A faster way to eliminate chill haze

Question here for those with experience or who know the chemistry. If it normally takes about 3 weeks in the fridge for chill haze to drop out at, say, 40 degrees, would the exact same beer clear up even faster sitting at a lower temperature (33 degrees)? Or would it take the same amount of time?

Yes, yes, I know there are ways to prevent chill haze in the first place. This is not my question.

Thanks in advance!

D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

It's possible. Chill haze is due to the leftover proteins in the beer and essentially long cold storage (extended crashing basically) will force them out and into the cake/trub but how much faster I don't know. In reality it is best to use finings like Irish Moss in the boil to prevent the haze in the first place Personally, i really don't lose sleep over a little haze as it really has no effect on taste or aroma and after the beer is in the glass for a few it goes away anyway

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My experience with chill haze has been one of the most inconsistent issues I've experienced. Most of the time a week in the fridge will take care of it. But some beers don't ever get crystal clear, even though the same base malt wort beer brewed earlier did. I use Whirlfloc in all my beers.

To the OP, I've had beers clear in a week at 45 or 32F. In my experience, once the temp is low enough to precipitate the chill haze proteins, any lower doesn't make a difference. But in principle you should store them as cold as possible.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This BYO story says many breweries combat chill haze by lowering the beer to -1C and filtering.

This is the "cold filtered" you see in BMC commercials.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gelatin does a great job of removing chill have in 2-3 days. I've got a pretty detailed blog post on how to do it (and how it works) if you want to go that route.

Main thing is to be careful not to overheat, or you'll end up with a layer of beer-jello in the bottom of the keg, rather than clear beer. 1tsp of unflavoured gelatin is typically enough to clear a 5gal keg of beer in 2-3 days.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Quick Reply