Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Extract vs. All Grain Fermentation Rate

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #1
Johnwongfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The aforementioned California
Posts: 43
Default Extract vs. All Grain Fermentation Rate

I just did my second all grain batch last night and I've noticed that both of the all grain batches have fermented much more actively than my previous extract brews. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I know my mash tempatures were lower than I had intended, my cooler loses heat too fast unfortunately. I started at 153 or so and had dropped down to 148 and a little cooler around the edges by the end of my 60 minutes. Does this account for the more vigurous fermentation? I know it's nothing to worry about, I'm just curious. I've had problems with hitting my FG with all my extract kits this far and I'm thrilled that my IPA got down to 1.013 in 4 days.

__________________
Johnwongfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwongfat
I just did my second all grain batch last night and I've noticed that both of the all grain batches have fermented much more actively than my previous extract brews. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I know my mash tempatures were lower than I had intended, my cooler loses heat too fast unfortunately. I started at 153 or so and had dropped down to 148 and a little cooler around the edges by the end of my 60 minutes. Does this account for the more vigurous fermentation? I know it's nothing to worry about, I'm just curious. I've had problems with hitting my FG with all my extract kits this far and I'm thrilled that my IPA got down to 1.013 in 4 days.

Well allot of factors play into this. For one the extracts that you buy sometimes have a good deal of unfermentable sugars because of the poor quality control at the factory. Your mash temperature is right on the money for a wort with a high amount of fermentables, but i would definately let it sit for 90 minutes. At temps higher than 158 you extract fermentable sugars but an even more amount of unfermentable sugars lending to body and head instead of alcohol. I believe grain also provides a good deal of nutrients for the yeast instead of extracts, because its fresh and not processed. That is the real benefit of all-grain.
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

Lower temps means a more fermentable wort. AG = more nutrients for better yeast growth.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Lower temps means a more fermentable wort. AG = more nutrients for better yeast growth.
Isnt that what I said?
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Nwcw2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Superior, CO
Posts: 268
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Now if I am telling you info you already know just kick me I'll be quiet!

If you throw a gallon or so of really hot water 170* + in your cooler before you get to mashin' it will hold heat a hell of a lot longer. It acts like priming a thermos. If it pre warmed it will keep temp. That way your mash isn't trying to heat the cooler too.


HTH

John

__________________
Nwcw2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Johnwongfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The aforementioned California
Posts: 43
Default

I think I'm going to try that next batch, I've seen a few people suggest trying this. Thanks for the info guys.

__________________
Johnwongfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
usmcruz
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guam
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcw2001
Now if I am telling you info you already know just kick me I'll be quiet!

If you throw a gallon or so of really hot water 170* + in your cooler before you get to mashin' it will hold heat a hell of a lot longer. It acts like priming a thermos. If it pre warmed it will keep temp. That way your mash isn't trying to heat the cooler too.


HTH

John

Good tip, The way it works is that 170 degree water when it hits the cooler automatically cools to 168 degrees, and when you add your grains at a ratio of 1 pound of grain to one quart of water will cool to 150 degrees and that my friends is the perfect temp. Hope this clarify's thing a little better
__________________
usmcruz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting an all-grain recipe to extract+steeping grain Finn Extract Brewing 9 08-24-2010 11:55 PM
Mead Fermentation Rate digdan Mead Forum 4 10-12-2009 11:52 AM
Rate my grain crush Ksosh All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-12-2009 04:24 AM
Conversion Equations: AG to Extract and vice versa || Grain, Extract, Hops, Boil size NitrouStang96 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-01-2008 03:44 AM
Fermentation rate question ian Extract Brewing 8 01-03-2006 06:14 PM