Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Extract TWANG in my All-Grain...ugh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
BorderBrewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

FWIW, some imitation vanilla flavoring is made from wood, not vanilla beans. Going with real vanilla beans is probably a good call.

Everything is better in moderation...even moderation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderBrewin View Post
FWIW, some imitation vanilla flavoring is made from wood, not vanilla beans.
Nummy!
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It was "pure vanilla extract". I tried to stay away from the imitation stuff. Probably not the highest dollar stuff out there, but best I could do. It turned out to be plenty potent!

Baby, to a hammer everything looks like a nail...

Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

On America's Test Kitchen they tested various real, synth and organic vanillas and came to the conclusion that there is no taste diff with synth, IIRC.

This might not hold up for brewing (and I used organic vanilla in mine) but it would be interesting to run some 1gal test batches and double blinds to see if anyone could tell them apart in beer. Or maybe just use a few drops in a couple of test bottles whne bottling? Hmmmm....

Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
On America's Test Kitchen they tested various real, synth and organic vanillas and came to the conclusion that there is no taste diff with synth, IIRC.

This might not hold up for brewing (and I used organic vanilla in mine) but it would be interesting to run some 1gal test batches and double blinds to see if anyone could tell them apart in beer. Or maybe just use a few drops in a couple of test bottles whne bottling? Hmmmm....
I'm surprised. Vanilla is just one of those things that I've found big differences between the cheap and expensive. I live near a fantastic spice store that has 5 or 6 different types of vanilla bean and the taste difference between them was remarkable. Or was the ATK test just between extracts?

I have never done a taste test between extracts and just assumed that real was better that imitation.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post

Didn't they test them in a cake or something?

Thats like saying kosher salt has no advantages over Iodized salt if you can't differentiate between them in soup.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
IOr was the ATK test just between extracts?
The ATK was just extracts, sorry about leaving that out.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #18
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Just a thought, but maybe try pouring it into a glass over a half ounce of nice bourbon. ie makers mark, or Bookers. Might be nice???

Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Didn't they test them in a cake or something?
Yes, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Thats like saying kosher salt has no advantages over Iodized salt if you can't differentiate between them in soup.
I don't remember ATK making any claims about relative advantage other than flavor (and, perhaps, cost).

I do not agree with the comparison with kosher salt: kosher[ing] salt has significant physical differences (texture, density) other than the salty flavor. I greatly prefer kosher salt in my kitchen although I taste no difference in soup or anything else. Plus, what if I have to slaughter some goats or what have you? Gotta keep it real.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply