Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Extra long mash out.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
flaminpi3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Extra long mash out.

Hello!

I am currently brewing a Rye Pale Ale and after I mashed for an hour I mashed out to 168 and PLANNED on letting it sit for 10 minutes when I got a urgent call that lasted almost an hour. So it's been sitting in my 10 gal cooler mlt for an hour at 168. Is this a problem? Do I need to worry about pH or anything like that?

Here's my grain bill:
8.5# Pale
1.25# Rye
1.25# Munich
.5# Victory
.25# Honey

I mashed at 154f for 60 min.

Thanks!

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I usually mash out at 180 and like to get the last of the wort out of the grain in under ten minutes before i end up with astringent tastes in the final product.

60 minutes at 168, I dunno. Taste it. If it is horribly bitter just brew your first runnings. If it tastes OK I would probably go ahead and brew with it.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
flaminpi3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It tastes fine. It actually gave me better efficiency, which is annoying because now my OG will be too high. Oh well, I need to find an assistant.

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

odds are that it kept converting in the kettle since alpha amylase doesnt denature until 176ish....you will most likely end up with a higher alcohol, dryer beer since most of the longer chain sugars will have been broken down in the kettle

wtf happened above?

Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't know that it's going to be ultra fermentable because b-amylase is definitely toast at 170 within that timeframe. Alpha will keep working if there is any starch left to convert. I think it's pretty common for brewers to cut their mash a little too short anyway.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply