exposure to atm air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Hi
As apposed to the whole carboy and airlock fermentation thing, in the UK it seems to be more the norm to use a bucket either with, but most usually without an airlock. When no airlock is used the airtight lid is snapped on and then opened every so slightly to vent C02.
While the beer is fermenting strongly there is probably a CO2 blanket protecting it, but when the fermentation slows/stops it would potentially lead to atmosphoric air/o2 exposure.
Palmer suggests that this would be a very bad thing (ie even places importance on purging the head space in secondary fermentation).
I was wondering is he overplaying/scarmongering the danger of any off flavour production from exposure to air in this way. From my experience (very limited i might add) i've left brews in the primary for weeks on end and snapped the lid on and off on numerous occasions to take readings or just be nosy :) and none of them have went onto give me oxidised beer.
Just wondering what are other peoples thoughts are on the importance of keeping the fermenting (and relatively cool) wort/beer under a CO2 blanket??

When you expose beer to air, you run the risk of all sorts of nasty germs getting in there. See this thread for an example of what germs can do to your beer. Those germs love to eat the wort as much as your yeast do, and if they get a foothold first, your beer is toast.

An airlock is simple, cheap, and effective, and most buckets have a hole and rubber gasket on the top for you to put the airlock in. I say use it!

I suspect none of your batches have been around long enough to oxidize.:p It's a slow process. Infections are a whole different story.

Back